○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Friday, April 23, 2010

The Nintendo DS Back on the Network

What is this, Nintendo repentance week? Well, I have to admit that I have been a naughty, naughty gamer for my shameful treatment of the Nintendo Wii of late. But that is all in the past now. What I didn't mention in the previous article however is that I have sinned against the Nintendo DS as well. I have been ignoring the Wi-Fi capability of the DS and I have not been online on that handheld ever since my move. The reason behind this is that my new wireless access uses the WPA standard which is not compatible with the DS and just like what I did to the Wii, I just didn't bother to take the time to correct the problem.

So months have gone by and I have fully abandoned the idea of playing the DS online. This is why I delayed picking up Phantasy Star Zero and I didn't even have Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's World Championship 2010: Reverse of Arcadia - whoa, that was a mouthful - listed on my Purchase List. Well, all of that is going to change because soon after I worked on the Wii last night, my focus shifted to the DS. I have purchased Nintendo's Wi-Fi USB Connector a long time ago - I never used it because I had a wireless router at my old place - so I went to look inside the boxes of my Nintendo consoles: I always try to store things in places that make sense. I found it sitting deep inside my Nintendo GameCube console box. Setting up the Wi-Fi Connector was a hassle and after hours of fiddling, I was finally able to make it work. As soon as that happened, I jumped on Mario Kart DS and played a tournament round with three other players.

I knew there was a reason why I purchased this to begin with.

It felt good to play an online game on the DS again. Also, I like the idea of a "quiet" socialization on the DS. I think voice chat is great and Skype (as well as other means) is always there to help when a game doesn't provide us with that feature but it's only fun when you are talking to like-minded people. I am glad that the DS is back online. Perhaps the next Nintendo project for me is to hook up my Nintendo 64 and the Super NES to my entertainment center? Nah.

Took me about 5 minutes to get a match going. Not too bad for 4+ year old game.

No comments: