○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

October 2009 Monthly Gaming Analysis

The results shown below are of course based on the combined data from the Daily Game Log which should provide a clear indication of a game's usage frequency. Bear in mind that even if a game is played twice or more during a particular day, it would still register as 1 in the Day Count column below. In a sense, "merits" are given based on how often a particular game can make me play it again throughout the entire period of the month on a daily basis. A game that makes a gamer play it over and over again or at least spend a lot of time with it... Isn't that what we mostly want from a great game? I don't think it's really fair to count all the way down to the number of hours played since some games only require a short amount of time to properly serve their purposes.

OVERALL BREAKDOWN:



Total Games Played: 30

World of Warcraft continued its dominance over all else in October 2009. It was the second month of my return to Azeroth and the desire to get both my Druid and my Priest to that 80th level was definitely there. The new continent of Northrend offers a lot of richly rewarding quests but this unfortunately means nothing to my previous main character, the Undead Priest because he has a full epic set already. Thus, my concentration went to my Tauren Druid who was collecting all the goodies left and right from quest givers - It was very addicting and I can't deny how good it felt to be constantly rewarded for all of that level grinding.

When Demon's Souls came into the picture, I was slowly pulled away from WoW. It was another game that was all about levelling up your character. Since it was much more fresh and new than WoW, the attention switch was inevitable. The one thing that made me stop playing Demon's Souls before I could finish it was the unbalanced player versus player element. There are ways to ensure that it's harder for other players to invade my game but I get a bit impatient at times. I do want to get back into this game soon - even though that means I have to learn the game's subtle intricacies all over again.

After the brief time I spent with Raiden IV as a rented game via GameFly in September, finding the game at a local store was a much needed reunion. I love my Japanese shoot-'em-ups and even though the Raiden series has never been my favorite, it's highly playable and it's a series that has made a successful jump from 2D to 3D graphics without sacrificing the precision of the gameplay. Raiden IV lacks content compared to Raiden Fighters Aces but it is clearly the superior game. Too bad that you can only use the additional ships if you unlock them using your Microsoft Points... The game really doesn't need another bad publicity. I highly commend UFO Interactive for bringing the game to the North American market but they should have been more thoughtful about the extra ships situation.

Best New Game of the Month:
Tekken 6 (PlayStation 3)

Unexpectedly Forgotten New Game of the Month:
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PlayStation 3)

I Missed You I Want You Game of the Month:
Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection (PlayStation 3)

No comments: