○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Bayonetta Demo


Bayonetta (2009)
Developer: Platinum Games
Platform: X-Box 360
Scheduled Release Date: 01/05/2010


Geek + Chic = Witch?

I thought that this game was just merely a "hyper-feminized" version of Devil May Cry but boy was I wrong. I can now understand why the Japanese gamers have been so much in love with this game and they are a lucky bunch to be able to already own this possible masterpiece of an action game. Since Bayonetta is made by the same guy who was responsible for the creation of Devil May Cry, the game does have the same feel to Dante's adventures when it comes to high action and excessive drama - the screen is just bursting at the seams with enemies, special effects, explosions, kick-butt fighting prowess, and blood & guts - but despite all the chaos, the game is very very easy to play and though intimidating to look at, it is also surprisingly accessible.


Hot yet disturbing hair as clothing action!

Bayonetta is a action adventure game where you control the title character, a new breed of witch, through pretty environments killing all manners of mystical creatures. The storyline is lacking in the demo - Bayonetta arrives at a train station and is suddenly attacked by otherworldly creatures - but what is there is very cheesy. The game takes itself very seriously, which makes the whole occasion even more hilarious. It's a good thing that the action is nothing to laugh about - it is highly engrossing and just beautiful to look at. It's a button masher for sure and from what can be experienced in the demo, it revolves around the attack-dodge mechanics where properly timing both is highly rewarded. There is a heavy emphasis on keeping your character untouched at all times because when you are hit by the enemy, you lose the build-up of your power. Then, there are the "torture attacks" (think Mortal Kombat fatalities) where you can give your opponents ultra-humiliating deaths by kicking them into a nail coffin or summoning a guillotine to chop off their heads, to name just a few.


Video game bosses are meant to be this big.

I am very impressed with what I have seen and played. The game is epic even beyond the God of War games with its imaginative stages and extraordinary boss fights. The graphics are silky smooth and looks like it could be the best looking game on the console to date. There are reports from Japan that the PlayStation 3 port of this game is rather poor. I will update this article to clarify that once I am able to get a hold of the PS3 demo [Update Note: The verdict is disheartening]. I really want to wait a couple of months after its release to see if a Personal Computer version is going to surface but now, I am not sure if I can wait that long to play this game. Bayonetta may end up replacing Famicom's Magical Doropie as the best witch game ever made.

FIRST IMPRESSION: 5 out of 5

1 comment:

Blake said...

I had the same reservations has you about this game, word for word.

I didn't even have plans to play the demo. But based off your impressions, I will give it a try.

I've read some previews of the game on some game sites, but I take those with a grain of salt and chalked it up to another Devil May Cry Clone.