○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

New Game Alert: Rocket Knight 1 Day Early!

I logged on to my Steam account like I normally do every day and I noticed that the demo version of Rocket Knight, a game that I pre-ordered several days ago, was showing available for download. The link for it was broken for the first half hour before the option finally disappeared. About an hour later, I went back to the Steam client and saw that it was available again. After about 15 minutes of download time, the game was available to be played. Since it was supposed to be a demo, I was rushing through the sub-stages to see how long long the demo would last. After I completed the first stage, I was surprised that the game proceeded to stage 2. I then exited the game and checked the Steam store page and saw that the full game was showing available for May 11th! I could have sworn that it was still showing with a release date of tomorrow and it was on a separate tab from the option to download the demo. Perhaps the demo accidentally grants access to the full game for those who pre-ordered it so they worked out a deal to release the game early but who cares? Rocket Knight is already here for those who have a gaming Personal Computer!


He seems to have lost his edgy look...

I must say that I am very impressed with the game. It feels very similar to the first game on the Genesis and it plays like the action/platform games of old, only with pretty 3D graphics - something that should have been the evolution for the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. There is a screen at the beginning of the game that warns players that the game is meant to be played using a gamepad and the game fully supports the X-Box 360 controller. The stylish cell-shaded graphics are clean and sharp, though they do lack details. This PC version of the game supports native 1920 x 1080 resolution and it runs at a smooth 60 frames per second with all settings maxed out on my PC. Just like the original, the game features both platforming areas and flying stages that play more like a shoot-em-up. Forget the stupidly episodic Sonic 4... This is the return to platforming greatness that we have all been waiting for!


This boss is easy to kill but it doesn't make this encounter any less awesome!


The flying sections are still as cool as they were before!

FIRST IMPRESSION: 4 out of 5

No comments: