○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Monday, February 8, 2010

Random Game of the Day


Bloody Roar 4 (2003)
Developer: Hudson Soft/Eighting Co., Ltd.
Platform: PlayStation 2
Induction Date: 2004


I don't think that it's a good idea to bring Uriko to the aquarium...

This fourth installment in the Bloody Roar series may not be able to win the popularity contest when compared to the Virtua Fighter or the Tekken series but don't even think for a second that there's anything second rate about the gameplay. The most touted feature of the game is the fighters' ability to transform into beasts ranging from members of the cat family all the way to unrecognizable creatures that look like the diseased, mutated version of the characters' human form (see game cover). The game utilizes a health bar and a "Beast Gauge" and you must deplete them both in order to incapacitate your opponent. BR4 uses only one punch button and one kick button but you get to access another attack button when you transform into a beast. The great thing about the game is that though it is combo-driven from the three attack buttons, you can also perform many special attacks and super attacks using directional motion commands. The fighting is fast and furious and the floating combos that you can accomplish here feel even better than those you can find in a Tekken game. Some of the fighting arenas can be a bit small but these only intensify the battles because you are forced to stay at a close proximity to your opponent. This game is dying for a current-gen revival!

LIBRARY STATUS: 4 out of 5

1 comment:

Blake said...

Growing up I LOVED the Bloody Roar game. Unfortunately I only ever played the first one.

I think by the times others came out I was either involved in another game or didn't have the money to get it at the time.

I did not know it went up to 4. I knew it went to 3.I love to see a reboot of this game for the next gen systems.