○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Sunday, February 7, 2010

New Games Alert: Pink Love Edition!

I went to the PlayStation Store today to visit its "Valentine's Day Collection" section. Though it looked mighty festive, there was no special discounts to be found there and a majority of the items don't even have anything to do with Valentine's Day. It is apparent that no real thoughts were put into its creation. All of those hearts as well as the pink background did manage to put me into a spending mood though: I purchased Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes and Astro Tripper.


Love is in the air but generosity is nowhere to be found.

For a long time, I held back from getting MvC2 because the only thing I like about this re-release is the online play functionality and it didn't feel like that was enough to justify a repurchase. With Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars having an online mode, it reminded me that I needed to check out MvC2 again. Now that I have this game, I don't see a reason for me going back to the Dreamcast version except maybe for the occasional nostalgia. I just love how the game looks now with the resolution of the 3D graphics being bumped up and the sprites cleaned-up - hooking up the Dreamcast version via VGA resulted in heavily pixelated sprites: very distracting. The other thing that made be weary about purchasing MvC2 originally was the fact that the port was handled by Backbone Entertainment. The demo was not flattering at all. Though they messed up the widescreen mode - you'll find unattractive clippings of both the polygonal backdrops and the large character/attack sprites - at least you have the option to disable 16:9. I am very thankful that they didn't take away the scoring system in the arcade mode like they did with Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix. As for Astro Tripper, I like a good shoot-'em-up and I have always liked the Mutant Storm series from PomPom Games and since it was only $4.99 I thought, why not?


You should only play this re-release in the 4:3 aspect ratio or you'll regret it.


It's good to see that the Mutant Storm series is getting better and better.

2 comments:

Blake said...

Was MvC2 on sale? Man I'm going to lose out on all the sales with my PS3 outta commission.

Losing my backwards compatible 60 Gig I may just might, pick up MvC2 if it was onsale.

Loner Gamer said...

No, it wasn't on sale but playing Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars made me want MvC2 badly. For that $14.99 price tag, it's worth it just for the ability to play the game online and the game now looks even better than the Dreamcast version. If you've only played it on the PS2 before, you'll notice the graphical upgrade even more.