○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Culdcept Saga: The Achievement Curse

I love the X-Box 360's Culdcept Saga. I may not have played it in a long time but that doesn't mean that I don't miss the game. I have been constantly looking out for fun people to play the game with, a task that becomes more and more difficult to accomplish as time goes on. I recently found someone who wanted to play the game via a pure stroke of luck while participating in a party chat. I was like, "Heck yeah! Let's do this!" and then not long after, the guy said this:

"Oh wow... Look at your achievements (referring to my Culdcept Saga achievement score). Are you sure you want to battle me? It's not going to be a challenge."

What's this? I didn't know that you're supposed to check people's achievement scores before playing with them - and I didn't look at his. This prompted me to check out his achievement score and it was apparent that he hasn't played the game much. I explained to the guy that I wasn't looking for a "challenge" per se, that I just enjoy playing the game and offered to play with random cards. Then, nothing but silence. I was no longer in the party chat at that moment to prepare the game but getting the message, I didn't go back into the party chat and played something else instead. The funny thing is that I never considered myself a master Cepter. Though I am very fluent in the inner mechanics of the game, my best book has been beaten by someone who just started playing the game! The fact that Culdcept Saga has a huge luck factor in every battle - when fighting against human opponents anyway - makes each battle uniquely challenging to begin with. I am a bit bitter about losing out on an opportunity to play Culdcept Saga again. I guess it's better for me to learn that the guy was a jerk early on in our the acquaintanceship - not even a "No thanks, maybe next time." To avoid further accidents with the achievement score situation, I have decided to block the view of my gamertag's game history. I always knew that achievements are annoying additions to gamedom but this is just ridiculous.


Sorry, false alarm. Please go back into hibernation.

2 comments:

Blake said...

BAhh, that guy is just a jerk. I never look at other peoples achievements or trophies to see how good or bad they are.

That's the stupidest thing I ever heard. I've had my butt handed to me on many online games by people who have no trophies.

But I've also been shunned by the hardcore people for not meeting their standards for matches. Such has Street Fighter 4.

The internet makes people treat other anonymous people with such utter disrespect that it makes society in general feel like a bunch of shit throwing monkey's

I am always polite and respectful of people I meet and play with online. WHY!? Because its fun to have a coordinated/friendly match.

Loner Gamer said...

Playing games with real friends makes all the difference in the world. The only bad thing about that statement is that to find a good online friend, you have to work through all the jerks/racist fools and struggle with the 0.1% success ratio.