○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Monday, February 15, 2010

Custom Soundtracks: They Kind of Work

I suppose the main theme for me this year is trying out things that I would never have done in the past: Since its conception on the X-Box 360, I always thought that the idea behind "Custom Soundtracks" - that is, the ability to play audio from the hard drive to replace the default in-game music - was stupid. I always want to respect the aural visions of a developer. The music in a game is an integral part of the experience that should remain attached to the game even if they do not succeed in bringing anything remarkable to the whole thing. Though I still feel strongly about this, I can see now how this feature can be useful.


A great song + a great game = a strange blend of awesomeness.

The music in Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes is not bad: it's just that it's very lazy and very bland. I can remember actually dozing off while playing the game on the Dreamcast some years ago and since I was feeling a bit tired earlier this evening when I started up the game, I really didn't want that to happen again. So I transferred a number of songs from my Personal Computer to the PlayStation 3 and played the game with the custom soundtrack. It actually enhances the game because the custom soundtrack doesn't take away any of the in-game special effects and voices, just the background music: something that I didn't care much to find out about before. I will definitely use this feature a bit more now but I do tell myself to only utilize it after I am so used to hearing the music in a game - that is, I will not immediately switch to the custom soundtracks as soon as I notice bad in-game music. Now if I could get a hold of the music from the Culdcept series... So what's next? Bungee jumping?

No comments: