○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Games Played 07/09/2009

Dead or Alive - PlayStation
Everyday Shooter - PlayStation 3
Mega Man Anniversary Collection - GameCube
Mystic Heroes - PlayStation 2
Rhythm Heaven - NDS
Street Fighter IV - PlayStation 3


RANDOM GAME OF THE DAY:


Chaos Field Expanded (2005)
Developer: Milestone Inc.
Platform: Nintendo GameCube
Purchase Date: 05/26/2005


Amidst utter chaos lies... More chaos?!

So what happens when an inexperienced developer decided to combine Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga into one game? You get Chaos Field - an odd and unfocused mess that tried to fuse the boss encounter after boss encounter structure as well as the bullet-eater sword weapon from Radiant Silvergun with the duality-switching mechanics from Ikaruga - only here instead of switching polarities, you switch between two dimensions: an order field and, you guessed it, a chaos field. When you switch to the chaos field, your ship's weaponry becomes stronger but your enemies experience the same boost in firepower so their attack patterns become more complex and their bullets travel faster as well. It's a give and take kind of situation where you have to really know when you can dish out the most damage before you switch to the chaos field. The problem with this game is that a majority of the boss encounters are boring and it takes twice the effort to learn the enemy attack patterns between the two separate fields. The game's spiritual sequel, Radio Allergy and Karous, have ditched the whole dimension switching mechanics and are supposedly better games because of that. Those two games, alongside Chaos Field, are included in Ultimate Shooting Collection for the Nintendo Wii that was released domestically in January of this year. I recently placed an order for the collection and it should arrive any day now. I will soon discover if the chaos has truly subsided and if so, the sequels should be very good indeed.

LIBRARY STATUS: 3 out of 5

3 comments:

Blake said...

I have a question for you. Do you finish all these games that you play?

Or do you play them for a couple hrs or a day or two and move on to the next one?

Cause that's alot of games your going through. I wouldn't be able to do that.My brain makes me finish any game I start, I would like to be able to play more games, just don't have the time,

Loner Gamer said...

I do finish most of the games I have but not necessarily when I first picked them up. But of course, that statement is really open to interpretation depending on one's definition of "finishing" a game. For example: some games, such as Chaos Field itself, are not merely about "finishing" them. You can basically sit down and complete Chaos Field in one sitting during your first try, but it's about mastering the game - learning its intricacies and playing it appropriately. So, I personally don't consider anyone who is able to get to the end of the game but played it poorly to have properly completed the game. Same thing with Ikaruga: only after 200+ hours and two consoles later did I consider myself actually "finishing" that masterpiece.

There used to be a time when I would plan out the games that I play - in a sense, sticking to just one or two games until I have discovered all of their available contents. These days, I just play whatever I feel like playing when I have the time to play them and I found this to be much more enjoyable and less stressful - why should I continue playing a game that I don't feel like enjoying at the moment just because I have to force myself to get to "the end"?

To me, life's too short to constrain myself from what I want to experience when I have the time to experience them: That's one of my basic life philosophies. That is why I like having a huge library of games that I can browse through during my video game playtime. There are many occasions though when a game is so great, I ended up playing it for a while from the very day I picked it up. The great recent examples of that would be Demigod for the PC and Raiden Fighters Aces for the X-Box 360.

A quick note: I have finished most of these featured "Random Game of the Day" games a while back so I would just play them for a bit as a refresher and use my memory of the accumulative playtime to write about the experiences that I have with the games ^_^

Blake said...

Understood. yeah,a finishing a game for me USE to be, doing everything you can do in the game. Not only finish it, but find all the secret areas, and do any and all bonus stuff.

Today, most of this stuff are in trophy forms. Which I force myself to go, "Can I get this in a reasonable amount of time without it becoming un-enjoyable?"

So I am not the trophy whore that I make myself out to be. BUT, if I think I can get it and enjoy doing it, then by all means bring it on.

So I don't mind trying the resistance get 10,000 kills trophy. Mainly because its just a little online fun every now and then. I'm not just sitting and playing just that game day in and day out until I get it done. While other trophies, like some of the Ghostbuster ones, I just don't feel like getting.

But yeah, I know what you mean when you can go back to a game and play it and get some level of enjoyment out of it. But overall,I just meant the basic, "Did you finish, beat the boss, the end, congrats, this game is now over, all your bases belong to us" type of ending.

So that's still impressive!