○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Monday, July 27, 2009

Games Played 07/07/2009

The Dark Eye: Drakensang - PC
Demigod - PC
Raiden Fighters Aces - X-Box 360
Rhythm Heaven - NDS


RANDOM GAME OF THE DAY:


God of War (2005)
Developer: SCEA Studios Santa Monica
Platform: PlayStation 2
Purchase Date: 03/24/2005


The Hydra may be pretty mean but Kratos is a thousand times nastier.

I am usually the first person who would react to video game hypes with hesitation not because I am a pessimist, but rather because I am a realist. When God of War first came out, the buzz was unlike anything else that the PlayStation 2 console has ever experienced - with the exception of Final Fantasy X and God of War II. As I have mentioned in the past, I am not big at reading or watching reviews by game critics because they like to say too much about a game to the point that they rob away the magical "first time" sensation you would have experienced with the game: I normally would just consider the first and last paragraphs as well as the overall score. My first impression of this game was more of a befuddlement: How come Kratos looks like one of those rock band lead singer instead of a battle-hardened Greek warrior? By the way, that pathetic "let's make him cool-looking and current" goatee just kills me even to this day. Then, I played it and I was amazed at how incredible the experience was. The game's creative manipulations of space and polygons created some of the most visually majestic set pieces ever accomplished in a video game. As an action adventure title, the game never feels repetitive because of how closely knit each on-screen action is to its masterful storytelling of a mortal's journey to destroy the god Ares and it is a tale filled with clever artistic representations of the Greek mythology. The game was close to being a disaster though because the epic boss fight that occured at the end of the game's first stage almost made the rest of the adventure seem trivial because the remainder of the game lacks the necessary amount of boss encounters. Thankfully, the fast-paced build up of the game's ever escalating plot line holds everything together. I love all the filthy violence in the game too because it's a necessary venue to show off Kratos' bloody madness and rage. I consider this game better than the sequel because at least it is a complete experience on its own.

LIBRARY STATUS: 5 out of 5

No comments: