○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Review: My Bloody Valentine 3D


My Bloody Valentine 3D (2009)
Genre: Horror
Format: Theatrical Release
Director: Patrick Lussier

Two years ago, I missed out on what could have been my first Real-D theatrical experience when I watched the flat 2D version of Beowulf at the cinema. I was so disappointed when the HD-DVD release didn't include the ability to watch the movie in 3D even though the transfer was ridiculously pristine. I made sure I wouldn't make the same mistake this time around and opted for the more expensive ticket price - they are showing a non-3D version of this too for some reason - and I must say that the end result was worth it.

My Bloody Valentine 3D is a remake but I have never seen the original so I went into the viewing with nary an expectation. On Valentine's Day, a crazed miner killed a large number of people in a small mining community. The culprit was thought to be dead but ten years later, brutal killings involving pick-axes started to occur again and they are seemingly targeted towards those who survived the last massacre. There is nothing remotely captivating about the set up and the mining getup that the killer puts on is more corny than it is scary. Still, the movie really lavishes on the death scenes that are brutal, gory, and quite effective in 3D. Even with all the nasty fun, I wish the movie had more blood in it because it ended up being too talky. More horror, less chatter please.

The new 3D technology brought by Real-D is definitely far superior than the past theatrical offerings that was big in the 1980's. Everything just pops out and the depth of the 3D layering inside every frame is something that must to be experienced by all visual effects fans. It's not perfect, however. Some of the brighter scenes tend to fuzz out and sometimes, it looked as if the actors were standing in front of a green screen. Even though the film itself is average, the bold presentation is something to behold. I can't wait for the Final Destination: Death Trip 3D that is supposed to come out later this year.

RATING: 3 out of 5

No comments: