○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Friday, January 30, 2009

Loner's Crazy Display

The thoughts of upgrading my main video gaming display haven't been on my mind for quite some time. For more than two years, I have been very satisfied with my 56" 1080p Samsung DLP: The TV works great, has an outstanding picture quality, and it is future proof where I could see myself using it for the next 5 years. Things quickly changed when my significant other offered to get me a new TV out of the blue and now, I am a proud owner of a new 52" 1080p Samsung LCD. I have always been a fan of DLPs - I love the fact that they are immune to burn-ins and picture degradations as long as the bulb inside is properly maintained. What attracted me this time to an LCD is the 1:1 pixel mapping ability, something that is lacking on DLP sets. With the standard overscan being around 2% for newer DLPs, I figured that it's time for me to try out something different.


Sharper than Culdra's blade!

Though a bit smaller in size compared to my previous display, this set looks incredible in both its aesthetic and function. Its 50,000:1 contrast ratio produces the deepest black I have ever seen across all the HDTVs I have previously owned and the clarity of the picture is unmatched. I have been testing it ever since I got it home on Tuesday and I am still calibrating it but thus far, I have zero complaints. One of the best Blu-ray transfers is Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest and that movie looked exceptional on my DLP but now it looks even better because of the superior black level performance. Though I am worried about the possible image persistence issue that LCD sets are prone to - I always use my personal computer with my HDTVs and older games have the 4:3 aspect ratio - I am willing to brave through it just to be able to have a much improved video gaming experience.

No comments: