○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Review: Meet the Spartans


Meet the Spartans: Unrated Pit-of-Death Edition (2008)
Genre: Comedy
Format: Blu-ray
Directors: Jason Friedberg & Aaron Seltzer

I consider myself to be very flexible when it comes to the types of movies I watch. Still, I do avoid certain films that just don't interest me - like the unappetizing spoofs of recent years. My significant other knows that I can be tricked into watching these movies: last year, an evening with some new friends became a cover to get me in the theatre for Disaster Movie - it was a bad, bad, BAD movie - and just a couple of nights ago, our shared Netflix queue brought Meet the Spartans to my home.

Even when faced with movies with a high probability of total failure, I always go into the viewing session with an open mind. The problem is, the terrible atrocity that of MtS was just so bad that I couldn't even pretend to like it when I tried to. MtS is a spoof of Zack Snyder's 300 and the plot progression here mirrors that movie. The iconic scenes are reenacted with cheap humor that capitalizes mostly on the homo-erotic nature of the Spartan men. Add some random jokes ala Family Guy (only here they are not funny) and you get the remaining bulk of the movie. From Paris Hilton to Spiderman, there is no hilarity in the proceedings because the movie is just trying to include as many popular culture references into it without doing anything remotely funny with them. For a really satisfying take on 300, watch this on southparkstudios.com and steer away from this piece of garbage.

RATING: 1 out of 5

No comments: