○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Diablo III Brewing in My Hard Drive

Today is that fateful day when I actually pre-purchased Diablo III for the Personal Computer. And no, I didn't pre-purchase the physical copy of the game but the digital version straight from Blizzard. When the game is unlocked on the 15th of this month, all I have to do is access the game without having to wait for it to be delivered to me via mail nor do I have to actually travel to an electronic store to pick one up. This kind of purchase is an example of how convenient direct digital distribution truly is and it is the eventual future of video gaming. Well, it's already mostly a reality for PC gamers.

Don't waste your gas. Don't waste your time. Just do the digital! 

The one thing that I frequently see many people complaining about in gaming forums in regards to direct digital distribution - beside that unquenchable desire to hold on to physical things - is the possibility of people being unable to download newly released games because many people will want to buy it on the day of release thus overloading the download server. Well, the part that these people don't realize is that digital games can be downloaded in advance only to be unlocked later. Sure, big games will result in slower download on the actual day of release but why wait until then when you can download them into your HDD  say a couple of days before? As digital distribution becomes a standard across the spectrum of video gaming universe, Internet technology and speed will continually become much improved so I doubt that failure for fast download would be a prominent issue. Just remember this folks - which would you rather have when you need to move to a new place or if, galaxy forbids, something were to happen to your home? Digital games that you easily can back-up to a HDD and conveniently re-download or a massive pile of physical games that you know cannot fit into both of your hands? I can tell you right now that moving my humongous physical game collection to my new house in 2009 was a true "rear touch". Embrace technology... today!

No comments: