○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Darn, That's Fast

The spouse and I had planned to leave our current Internet service provider, AT&T U-verse for a little while now. Not that the service was bad. We initially subscribed to it when we moved into our new home in 2009 and at that time, the high definition signal was quite horrible: there was a large amount of pixelation during fast moving scenes. It would have bothered me a lot but the spouse never noticed it. That problem eventually got fixed and there was nothing really to complain about. The one thing that the spouse wasn't happy with was the speed. A year ago, we upgraded to 18Mbps but of course, the main line stayed in my Game Room and the rest of the house was connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi. The spouse does have a computer room on the other side of the house and a good, stable connection to that room was surely lacking. The fastest connection offered by AT&T is 25Mbps and though that number sounds fine with me, the spouse wanted more. Well today, we have switched to SureWest as our ISP and with it, we have entered the world of fiber-optic speed.

Oh my galaxy. That's more internet power that the both of us could use at a time like ever.

The coolest thing about this of course is that we get fast access to the Internet no matter where we are in the house and we do have tons of devices hooked up to our connection. It was great that the SureWest technician was able to open up a secondary line for my spouse's computer room, which of course made the spouse really, really happy. The service also comes with two sets of cable boxes and since we don't have a HD display in the bedroom (yet), we have decided to just plop it down in my Game Room. I hardly watch television but I guess it wouldn't hurt to jump on the thing once in a while - I did look for something to watch earlier this evening but I couldn't find anything of interest between those 100+ channels. To me of course, having access to a faster Internet means that I get to download my digital games a lot faster now. I also have the convenience of fast uploads to my YouTube channel and perhaps I can start streaming my gameplay with much frequency again. And I thought that I could only get this kind of Internet connection speed if I were to live in Japan.

No comments: