○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Journey's End Could Be... Now

My Game Library has reached the 2,500+ count just the other day and that started me thinking again about that analysis I wrote back in January of 2011 regarding the number of gaming hours I would need to get through all of my video games that I have yet to fully explore. I have gotten 300+ games added to the total number since then so I know that the time commitment to experience all of these wonderful games I have is continually going up by each gaming induction. I was also thinking about how short our lives in this plain of existence really is and wondered how far I would be able to get when it comes to the ever-evolving video gaming experience and technology but I know better than to dwell too long in the past and fantasize too much about the future.

Completion is not space-filled, but a heart fulfilled.

We have to live in the moment and cherish what it is that we have as a result of what happened in our past and by the prospect that the future would yield nothing but the best. The fact of the matter is, I have a lot of video games. Perhaps too many. If I were to stop inducting more games into my Game Library, it really doesn't matter anymore. I could pretty much live the rest of my life with what I already have now. Sure, I would love to experience the new things that gaming has to offer and I know there are still plenty of things the gaming world can bring into the lives of us gamers. But what is "new" anyway? Is it new technology? New game design? "New" is really in its barest essence in video gaming has a lot to do with the activity of playing video games and though a game may have been inducted into my Game Library a decade ago, if I never explore its contents in their entirety, that that game can still be classified as "new". Time doesn't move chronologically as a gamer, time stands still contextually until it is spent playing a game. Video games do last forever, a constant, even though I don't but that's just how the game is played. I think it's only responsible to embrace that rule if I want to be successful in taking advantage of the wonder and fulfillment that video games can provide me.

1 comment:

Chalgyr said...

Interesting sentiments there. Largely for me because... well, I was going through some similar thoughts the other day. Your collection of games does trump mine. I've been an active used game trader - especially this generation and last (prior to that, I kept most of my old games and consoles).

And while on the one hand, I do get sucked in by the new and shiny games and upcoming systems (I am sure I will want to grab a next gen system as soon as they start to come out) - but I have more than enough unplayed games at this point that maybe I should sit out those initial releases and 'catch up' on what I have