○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Wii U Data Transfer: Cute but Annoying

I thought that the best way to approach my new Wii U was to take care of the data transfer from my original Wii console first. Boy, what a mistake that was. I should have played Nintendo Land first. I really didn't mind that it's a long process because I did have a lot of stuff to transfer but it was the transfer method that gave me a bit of a headache because it was just so annoying. You have to download a transfer software to both the Wii and Wii U consoles and then they both must be connected to the Internet together. Since I didn't have the new sensor bar out - I have the original one hooked up to the Wii U - I had to switch the connection to it between the two consoles. Seriously, why can't I just hook these two consoles up USB to USB, lovemaking style?

Go Pikmin, go!

The instruction wasn't all that clear either. Since a separate SD card is needed to do the transfer where the card is alternatively inserted between the two consoles, I thought that I would have to keep transferring data from my original Wii SD card into the internal memory several times to do a complete transfer. In actuality, the new SD card is capable of transfering all of your purchase history so that you can just redownload the games that were saved to the old SD card. Thankfully, the very cute presentation while the transfer process is taking place made me feel better in the end. Who can resist watching the Pikmin physically moving bits of data from the Wii to the Wii U across a vast electronic landscape? I sure couldn't... until things started to become repetitive that is when they kept passing through the same areas over and over again. If you do plan to embark on the journey of transferring your Wii data to the Wii U, just make sure you don't miss out on the beginning and the end of the transfer process: epic stuff. Check often in between however because there was an error that occurred where I had to do a hard reboot of the system. I am too tired to check if all my digital games got through and I will save that until tomorrow. It looks like I will be retiring my Wii since everything will be playable on the Wii U but this also means that I now have to get my Nintendo GameCube out of retirement yet again so that I could play my GameCube games. I think I will play a couple of minutes of Nintendo Land before I go to sleep.

Update Note: 12:20am - There is a 12 minute patch for Nintendo Land? Are you kidding me? Screw that! I'm off to bed.

Update Note: 11/30/2012 - I have confirmed that all my Wii digital purchases were properly transferred to the Wii U.

No comments: