○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Loner's Crazy Display Got Crazier

It has been close to 4 years since I took my beautiful 52" Samsung LCD home. Over the past couple months, I have seen signs that the display is going to die on me. There is this nasty full 1080 pixel tall 1 pixel wide red line every time I turn it on that would stay visible on the far right of the screen for about 10 or so minutes. Then, the display would lose signal on and off and this would happen rather randomly - usually during a heated League of Legends group fight, ouch. 4 years isn't a long time since my 7 years old 56" Samsung DLP is still going strong in the living room but I have decided to get a new display. At first, the spouse and I planned to get it next year but then the spouse was able to help me pick one up earlier, as in today! I chose an LED display from LG this time, sorry Samsung but it's time for me to branch out - the 55LM7600:
 
Super thin, super delicious.
 
This display also marks my very first foray into big screen 3D displays. 3D presentation, believe it or not, works better for real-time 3D gaming as illustrated by the 3DS than watching something flat like those 3D movies in the theater. I haven't used the 3D extensively so far. I have yet to try out the Nvidia 3D Vision processing but I did manage to play Sine Mora for the Personal Computer using the TV's own built-in 2D to 3D processor and it looked pretty darn good. And 3D League of Legends? It's as cool as it sounds. Then, I booted up my PlayStation 3 to test out that console's 3D processing power. The PS3 did freak out soon after it started, shutting down almost immediately when I got to the Xross Media Bar! I thought something was wrong with my PS3 but when I noticed that it just wanted to initialize the 3D settings, I was relieved. I played a little bit of Mortal Kombat with the in-game stereo-3D turned on and it worked great even though I did notice that some of the edges looked a tad jagged. Interestingly however, turning it off and using just the TV's own 2D to 3D mode made the 3D looked a lot more natural thus better. I have to look into this more.
 
This thing came with 6 seriously ugly 3D glasses.
At least they sit comfortably on top of my glasses.
 
I sure hope that this display is going to last me a lot longer than the previous set. I am still calibrating it but surely, this LED TV is a display of my dreams. For those interested in using this display as a PC monitor, it works perfectly with no lag with an HDMI connection - make sure to set the connected input as "PC". I should stop typing now and play more games on this glorious new display.

Update Note: As of early 2018, I have been using a 55" LG55UJ700 4K display. I was undergoing some personal tumultuous time since 2017. I hardly posted anything here then and only started getting back at it around 2020. Thus, I never wrote an article in regard to the display change.

No comments: