○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Premier 3D Gaming Experience

I remember the first time I saw the 3D effects on the Nintendo 3DS - I was simply blown away, especially with the fact that the 3D was accomplished without the need for special glasses. Gaming in 3D on 3DS has been fun and I had wondered how great it would be to able to replicate the experience on the big screen. Well, with the arrival of my new display, that has become a possibility. Though I will say that I don't see myself gaming exclusively in 3D - I discovered that things are a little tricky with Nvidia 3D Vision for my particular screen where to benefit from Nvidia's 3D processing matrix, which does look far superior to my television's built-in 2D to 3D mode, I have to sacrifice the refresh rate to 24Hz to do 3D gaming in native 1080p though I could still do 60Hz at native 720p - I have found one game that I will never ever play in 2D again... And that game is Super Stardust HD for the PlayStation 3. I haven't gotten around to all of the special "3D Compatible" games on the PS3 just yet with several that did get tested showing mixed results, but as soon as I saw that infinite, expansive outer space with stars flying out of the display and the bottom half of the Super Stardust HD game title sliding out towards my face in the main menu, I knew that I was witnessing something truly remarkable.
 
With the 3D mode enabled, this is easily one of the most visually stunning games ever.
 
Super Stardust HD was an epic game before but there is something about seeing it "alive" in front of you that is just totally out of this freaking world. The planets that become the center stage for the gameplay becomes more prominent as they are floating right there in the middle of the screen, surrounded by the vast infinity of space that is littered with stars of varying distances. The surfaces of the planets also become more complex with elevated landscapes that are then surrounded by the spherical layering of the playing field. The huge meteors drop into the screen convincingly and all the crazy action that involves the screen filling up with enemies and debris really popped out. All of this with no slowdown whatsoever and everything looks crystal clear. I wonder why they don't just set up a PS3 with this game being demoed at the store to promote both the console and the 3D televisions they are selling because if you look at this game in motion while playing it in 3D, you will be convinced to upgrade your display immediately or at least plan to in the near future - oh yes, it is that good. It's also important to note that developer Housemarque was able to provide us with this 3D masterpiece via a patch - the game wasn't specifically programmed to support 3D when it first came out. This means that if a developer really works hard on it, the same kind of visual delight can be accomplished on all the other non-3D games out there whether they are on the PS3 or not. Super Stardust HD thus far has the best looking 3D visuals that I have ever seen in my life - it's better than watching the IMAX 3D presentation of James Cameron's Avatar - and as long as they can make them this good, there is absolutely no reason to not implement the option to enable 3D effects in all future video games.

No comments: