○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Wii U Sold Out at Launch? Shocking!

Having signed up for that silly PowerUp Rewards program when I picked up Xenoblade has made me prone to these promotion emails from Gamestop. Urgh. The latest is this notification that the Wii U is sold out right now but you can get yourself into a waiting list... Hooray? Well, let me tell you something ladies and gentlemen, there should not be a rush to get the Wii U. I am not going anywhere near it at launch. You know why? Well first off, read this article I wrote about surviving the modern gaming age. The one reason why you shouldn't touch this launch model is simple - there will be a revised model in some sort of fashion for the Wii U in the not so distant future after the launch. It's now a 100% guaranteed occurrence for a Nintendo gaming device. Remember how the Wii got a better Wii-mote later on with the whole MotionPlus debacle? Remember how that MotionPlus attachment became obsolete soon after when the actual sensor got built into the newer Wiimotes? How about a more recent example: Remember how the Nintendo 3DS got remade with a much, much larger screen? I have a strong suspicion that the Wii U GamePad will receive some kind of revision - perhaps longer battery life, 3D/larger/higher-resolution screen, or more ergonomic shape. So if you are already panicking because you think that you may not be able to secure yourself a Wii U at launch, that energy is better spent going to the store to pick up components to upgrade your Personal Computer. Let the Wii U go. Get it at a much later time.
 
Aww, really? Watch these crocodile tears rolling down my cheeks.

6 comments:

BloodyFuneral said...

Xenoblade's theme song is very good, you should listen to it if you have the chance.

So are you a gamer that cares a lot about the graphics? I own both ps3 & x360 but not Wii, simply because Wii games's graphics are not good. I heard Nintendo's belief was that they focus on whether or not the games are fun, not on the graphics, but they're trying to change this on Wii U.

Loner Gamer said...

I care about the gameplay the most but if I also get great graphics on top of it - yes, I'll take that too thank you very much. Remember, I am a guy who thinks that League of Legends is one of the greatest games ever made and play the heck out of it on a daily basis: We all know that the graphics in that game is not what one would call, uh, "cutting edge".

I never had a problem with the graphics capabilities of the original Wii. Nintendo is getting delusional. There are plenty of incredible looking games on the Wii and the Wii U is just being released way too soon. Sure, Nintendo can make a powerful console all they want but if the developers got lazy, like most of them did with their Wii releases, then you still get ugly games on the Wii U.

BloodyFuneral said...

LOL is an online game, you interact with other players, so it's different, and at this point all the players will focus on the gameplay not how good the graphics are.

Though I believe in many cases, pretty graphics are indeed "useful" in making a difference, like 2 of my favorite games: Uncharted 2 and God of War 3. I mean if they were released with the graphic quality of ps1, they'd never be so successful.

lol, these 2 games really bring back fond memories, I'm sure you've played through them, too.

Loner Gamer said...

Not sure if you have checked out DOTA 2, now that is a really, really beautiful alternative to LoL. I don't believe that a multiplayer online battle arena game should not have premium graphics because DOTA 2 surely offers that.

Graphics don't make up everything. Yes, they are nice when they are striking, but I have played so many games with minimalistic graphics that ended up being a lot more fun overall than games with crazy graphics tech. Like the recent FTL: Faster Than Light for example.

Oh don't mention God of War 3... That game looked like it could be made on the PlayStation 2. It was such a disappointment to me. Now that upcoming God of War on the other hand...

BloodyFuneral said...

Dota is harder than League of Legends, you need to deny creeps. I've checked out Dota 2, however I don't think I will spend any time on it.

Hmm...so you don't really like GOW3's graphics...I do think it's a great work in terms of graphics...especially when you compare it to GOW 1 & 2. I see you don't have the ps3 collection, so you must've played them on your ps2.

I'm quite a GOW veteran, and yes I'm definitely buying the upcoming title in the series.

Loner Gamer said...

Yes, played the first and second GoW on PS2 and I don't believe in that sub-par HD re-release that's not even 1080p. I think they originally intended GoW3 as a PS2 release and mid-way through, they had to convert everything to the PS3 so the result was that really confusing sometimes it's beautiful sometime's it's shameful presentation.