○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Monday, September 17, 2012

A Predator in the Game Room... Rawr?

I received my Acer Predator AG3620-UR20P today so gaming was at a standstill for the majority of my free time because I am working to get this new desktop ready. I added 2 TB of hard drive that contains my Steam games into the setup and I have replaced the low-end video card that comes with the system with the one from my previous setup. The next thing to do here is to run the newer games to see how everything fares. I hope that I will be able to at least test out Guild Wars 2 by the end of the night and get to The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings sometime tomorrow. It was a very busy Monday for me so I am a bit tired and I am moving at a very slow pace in getting everything done for the new PC.
 
A predator is hunting its prey. Watch out Yoshi!
 
When I tried to boot up the Predator when it first arrived, it gave me three beeps and nothing showed up on screen. I knew at that point that components inside the case must have gotten dislodged during transport so after reconnecting the memory modules, the graphics card, and hard drive, it booted up fine. Installing the additional HDD was easy thanks to the removable HDD tray and there's not a lot of clutter inside the case unlike the previous setups I have built for myself. The only thing that's missing on the motherboard is additional PCI-Express x16 slots but since I never even bothered with an SLI setup on my previous PC with a motherboard that was tri-SLI ready, it's not a concern.
 
Sorry GT 630. You are just not good enough so into the old PC you go.
 
Thus far, I am glad that I just got this pre-built unit instead of hunting for components and then dedicating some time to put everything together. It's definitely pretty convenient. That case looks quite awesome as well though I wish some parts of it would light up to give me that extra cool "I'm a nasty beast" factor. The unit is also extremely quiet, which kind of scares me a bit because I have never had such a silent unit before. The fan is hardly audible and I made sure that it was working. I can already feel the difference in terms of the overall Windows performance with the i7-3770 compared to my E8400 Wolfdale. Everything is just blazing fast. Now let's hope that all that improvement is bestowed upon my games. It's not that I have struggled much running modern games but I know that when some games list dual core as a "minimum" requirement, it's time to upgrade... and so I did in a timely fashion.
 
Now where should I place my Nintendo Wii? It was sitting on top of the old PC before.
 
Update Note: 11:14pm - Okay, I just tested Guild Wars 2. I almost fainted when I noticed that I got a pretty steady 60 frames per second compared to the heavily fluctuating 40-60 previously. Then, I got ballsy and enabled supersampling... Low and behold! It's playable and averaged around 25-30 fps! Oh yes, getting this unit is a worthy upgrade indeed...

No comments: