○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

LIVE from the Game Room


This video auto plays whenever Loner Gamer Alex is gaming in the Game Room.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Pirates Really?

Today's release of Risen 2: Dark Waters by Piranha Bytes on Steam for the Personal Computer made me wonder: Aren't we a little bit tired of the whole pirate thing by now? When it comes to medieval fantasy games, you mostly find yourself playing a knight/templar, a wizard/sorcerer, or the least pleasant of the variety, a pirate. Why can't we get something a little bit fresh like perhaps an evil jester or a pregnant castle maid? How about a midwife mistaken for a witch or maybe a vile executioner out to hunt supposed amoral criminals? But yes, no thanks. I wouldn't want to play as a priest who is tasked to bring "god's enlightenment" into the world - these kind of activities should never be encouraged. But it seems like developers do like to stick with the familiar territories. Risen 2 does look rather interesting so I may have to check it out sometime soon. The first game was rather entertaining so I hope that this one can be the same despite the whole pirate vibe it has going on.

Pirates this, pirates that. A pirate's life cannot be that exciting...

4 comments:

Chalgyr said...

For once, I'm not quite in agreement with you. :P But I really wasn't a fan of the first game - it's the first RPG in a long time I just never bothered to beat. I sunk about 25 hours into it, I just wasn't having much fun for a variety of reasons.

I think the pirate theme is okay - it's different enough from some of the more tried and true tropes out there you mentioned. And thankfully it's not a zombie or vampire game, so it should get credit for that. :)

Loner Gamer said...

I blame all of those Pirates of the Carribean movies that provided too much pirate action overdose that one could ever stomach in a lifetime and it bleeds over to all aspects of a person's life. Way to go Johnny Depp.

Chalgyr said...

ROFL!

Now that I can understand (however, my wife would not agree as she lusts Johnny Depp). Hope you have yourself a good weekend! Take it easy Loner. :D

Loner Gamer said...

Thanks, you too.