○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Saturday, March 26, 2011

The 3DS Headeache and Hedonism

The Nintendo 3DS is being released tomorrow here in North America and I know that there are a lot of excitement behind this new handheld from Nintendo but I will not be purchasing it any time soon. I have always been an early adopter when it comes to new gaming devices - and that includes Microsoft's Kinect for the Xbox 360 - and this will be the first time that I will actually wait for a newer version of the device before I will start investing in it. The reason behind this is simple: Nintendo is guaranteed to upgrade upon the build of the 3DS as exemplified by the 2 major revisions that was implemented the Nintendo DS in itself - from regular, to Lite, and then to the DSi.

Don't worry my DS Lite. You will still be in service for a little while longer.

I'll be honest with you, as a person who felt compelled to purchase the first DS and then the Lite where you can finally see the system's awesome graphics, I was quite offended when the DSi was released because apart from its predecessor, it featured the ability to download digitally distributed games - I really didn't care about the camera, it was never capitalized upon software-wise and it was really just a gimmicky accessory. This created a divide between DS owners and DSi owners and such a gap is normally marked by a brand new hardware generation and not from a new model of the same system. I have a feeling that the same thing will happen with the 3DS. That 3D technology of the top display is probably going to be improved upon  and the short battery life is definitely going to be fixed. I also have a feeling that Nintendo will implement a second analogue stick at the bottom right hand corner of the handheld. They would be crazy not to because it will open up more control options for the system and Sony is doing it on their upcoming "Next Generation Portable". So yes, I am going to wait on the 3DS. I just hope that the new model will be announced soon: probably in the next 3 to 6 months. Thankfully, there are not a lot of games that I really wanted for it at the moment and that will make the wait a lot easier I am sure.

2 comments:

Daisy said...

Waiting is perfectly fine! :)
I didn't wait when the iPhone 3G came out I just bought it - so dumb, a few days later the iPhone 3GS was announced which was twice as fast and I regret it for days.

I stuck out with the DS Lite for ages. Fantastic device! GBA slot plus I didn't care much about the cameras on the newer devices as well.

But this time I'm going to buy the 3DS because I'm only paying for half of it (sharing it with my bf) and my DS Lite started making rattling + static noises recently, like somethings loose inside it LOL.

Loner Gamer said...

The poor DS Lite... Sounds like it is time for you to upgrade so it's good timing. Paying only half helps too, the fact that the darn thing is so freaking expensive!