○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Where Do My Games Go After I'm Gone?

Instead of pondering where I would go after I die - it would be that place where I used to be before I gained consciousness and self-awareness, which is the void of non-existence - I was recently troubled by the thoughts of leaving my huge Game Library behind without no one to take proper care of them. Of course, once you die, there is really nothing that you can do about all the things that you have left behind - nor would you be able to actual feel anything about them for that matter - but since these are really the only material things that bear a significance to me, I just want to make sure that their "transitions" would be handled correctly.

In the end, only Vault Boy will survive us all.

I am the only gamer in my family right now. No one else in my immediate family cares about it. My significant other and I also don't plan on having children so it's not going to be passed down to a Loner Gamer junior. So I know that those who are close to me really don't have any use for them. The thing about video games is that, especially these days, they lose their monetary value as go. Sure, there is always a high-earning market for rare games and I do have a lot of those, not to mention that I do take really, really good care of my games. Unless by some feat of unfortunate accidents, all of my video gaming items are in mint condition and if the demand is right, they could fetch a good price. Unfortunately, with the rise of game remakes and re-releases, like the recent announcement of Radiant Silvergun for the X-Box 360, hard to find games will be a thing of the past. Don't forget that Sony is converting their successful PlayStation 1 and 2 releases to the PlayStation 3. Still, you can always count on those collector-types to pay high prices for these things but to be honest, I rather have the games to fall into the hands of gamers who just happen to collect instead of collectors who just happen to like games. I know that instead of focusing too much on what people actually do with my Game Library, I should just focus on giving an individual the ownership to just do whatever he or she wants with it.

The door to "heaven" is here on earth. Look for it.

Does it really matter though in the end? Well, it really doesn't. Death is only difficult to those who are left behind instead of the person who is going away. There is no fear, no sadness, and frankly, no emotion in non-existence and perhaps that is its greatest blessing. Sure, I wish that humans have longer life-spans or immortality but we don't. Sure, everyone wants a freaking afterlife: it's a tempting rationalization that we actually bear some sort significance in the existence of this galaxy or this planet -  but I know that there isn't one. The only thing that is important  that a lot of people just cannot understand (I blame it all on the beautifully selfish process of indoctrination ) is not what happens after you die, it is really what you do when you are alive. Keep on gaming L.G.!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to think that my games would be enjoyed by my (currently non existent) children. I hate the thought of my games library being chucked away or sold off cheap. In a similar predicament to yourself, none of my family care about gaming.

I can identify the relative worth or value of a game quickly. My family members cannot, and I would imagine they wouldn't realise the sheer monetary value of some of my collection! not to mention the entertainment value.

Loner Gamer said...

I hope you will be be able to pass down your games successfully as you have envisioned it. It's been a while since I posted this article and even today, I have yet to reach any kind of certainty on my end in this matter.