○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Sony Didn't Test The Tester

Alright, so when Sony created the reality contest show The Tester earlier this year where several lucky gamers can compete against each other in gaming-related challenges to win a position as a game tester, I was not impressed. I mean, seriously... Why can't the winner get a chance to actually be involved in something bigger? Like becoming a creative advisor for future game developments? Something about it just feels fake and I didn't even watch a single episode from that show when they were made available to be downloaded from the PlayStation Store for free. Apparently, the show was successful enough to warrant a second season but it is also clear that Sony really craves for some more attention this time around since they are now attaching prizes for downloading the episodes from the PSN Store. I should have noticed this sooner - one should never miss out on opportunities to win free stuff, especially when a 46" 3D Bravia TV is on the line - so now, I have to force myself to download the shows to qualify myself for the contest.

The worst reality TV show ever? That it is.

After seeing this season's first episode, my original suspicion about The Tester was correct. This show is horrible. The generic "I don't care about gaming, I just look pretty, notice my cleavage?" host is annoying - where's Veronica Belmont? - and the contestants are even worse. I suppose it's just like the other reality television show contestants where they are mostly selected because the producers want people who can create some drama on the show. I was baffled that they actually selected several people who are not familiar with gaming. One of the contestants admitted that she doesn't even own a PlayStation 3 and that she only did research before coming to the show but then... She was not eliminated? Wow. Unbelievable. I guess you don't need that much gaming experience or even knowledge of the brand to become a lowly tester at Sony? Well, I am still going to download all of these episodes to possibly nab the prizes offered but I don't think I can watch anymore of this nonsense. Please Sony, don't go into Season 3 or you will lose all of your credibility in the gaming industry.

No comments: