○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Monday, August 30, 2010

Fun with PS3 Autopsy

I have decided that my next working PlayStation 3 will be the new "slim" model and I have made that determination from several important factors. First of all, because of the model number of the dead PS3 itself. I own a launch 20GB that I upgraded with a 120GB HDD. This means that this unit doesn't have wi-fi. Not that wi-fi matters to me much because I could easily hook up any wired Ethernet connection in my Game Room. The only downfall to not having wi-fi on the PS3 is the inability to use the console as a server to host Ad Hoc multi-player games for the PlayStation Portable since it requires both wired and wi-fi to be utilized at the same time. Secondly, though I am going to lose the PlayStation 2 backwards compatibility with the new model, I still have my old PS2 console and quite frankly, it handles PS2 games better than the PS3. I have always been disappointed with the way the PS3 upscales old games to high definition and with the games that support progressive scan, they look better in 480p than the PS3's 1080p upscale. I do think Sony should have kept the backwards compatibility alive in the newer models but it doesn't seem like it is that big of a loss when you do own a PS2. The only thing missing of course would be the convenience of having one console out instead of two. Lastly, the newer model is more reliable in its overall technical design, including its lower power consumption. Sure, it is ugly but I suppose beauty is only skin deep.

Since I won't be sending my broken PS3 to Sony to be fixed (who knows, I may actually do exactly that in the future), I decided to do an autopsy to take my Ar Tonelico: melody of Elemia disc out of the system. Disassembling the PS3 is not as hard as I thought it would be. The only struggle I had was with finding the right type of screwdriver for the job. I was happy to see that everything looked really clean inside my console. There was hardly any dust inside for I took great care of the system. The operation was successful and the disc was able to be saved without any damage inflicted upon it. The only bad thing here is that is when I am in the mood to play the game again, I have to start over from the very beginning... for the third time! I know I will not be doing that anytime soon. As for the new PS3, I don't know when I will pick it up but of course it will receive its grand welcome here on this website once that happens.

No PS3 was hurt during the making of this article... Because it was already dead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Playstation´s slim model is always better.