○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Games Played 07/13/2009

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger - PlayStation 3
Demigod - PC
Guilty Gear X2 # Reload: The Midnight Carnival - X-Box
Raiden III - PlayStation 2
Raiden Fighters Aces - X-Box 360


RANDOM GAME OF THE DAY:


Crash Bandicoot (1996)
Developer: Naughty Dog
Platform: PlayStation
Purchase Date: 1997


Crash is a bandicoot? Looks more like a dog to me.

Yes, I know it looks horrible but I did purchase the "Greatest Hits" version of the game. I didn't pick up a PlayStation until 1997 and before then, I pretty much just stick with the SegaSaturn. This first Crash game is average at best but what made it significant when it first came out was its successful implementation of solid 3D graphics in a platform game. The character animations are smooth but the design of Crash's character really leaves a lot to be desired: I am still baffled that during Crash's early years, many actually elevated him to the same star status of Sonic and Mario. By just looking at him, you know immediately that he's dumb, smelly, and has zero charisma. Thankfully, it is fun to control the nincompoop as he jumps over gaps, spins into enemies, and collects wumpa fruits. The platforming can get very tricky and I appreciate that the game tries to mostly adhere to old-school 2D gameplay. This first game is the hardest of all the Crash games I have played but it is also the least inspired because things get a bit too repetitive quickly. Unlike Mario games and the older Sonic titles, there is no reason to play through the game again once you have completed it because the whole experience is rather generic and uneventful.

LIBRARY STATUS: 3 out of 5

No comments: