○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Thursday, December 12, 2013

EA Not Confident of Promoting Origin?

When I am interested in a game, I don't look for the positive confirmation of the popular video gaming media outlets. I would instead check the official website for the game and watch some of the gameplay videos for it to make my final determination. Game reviews these days have no shame in telling you everything about a game to the point that personal discovery is no longer respected. Yes, I do find myself reading some of these after I have played the games to avoid stumbling into the inevitable spoilers. I believe that a review should just convey in general one's feeling about a game and not divulge every single thing that the writer found in the game that can be written within its confine. This problem also occurs with movie reviews by major media outlets. I think these writers are confused that they were not supposed to be writing a synopsis. Anyway, I have been very interested in Need for Speed: Rivals for the Personal Computer ever since its release and this morning, I was watching the official trailer for the game and I noticed something odd. At the end of the trailer, Electronic Arts didn't specify that the PC version of the game is being distributed via their Origin client:

PC DVD ROM? That is so last century.

I have seen many game trailers that would end with a proud display of the Steam logo but apparently, EA has some apprehension in regards to promoting Origin. It's obvious by now that even though they are still using that client for their PC-bound releases, they don't care too much about it. The reward program that is supposed to come with Origin Achievements have yet to be made a reality and I can't find information anywhere if the newer EA published games even have Origin Achievements. Now I know there are a lot of hate out there when it comes to anything outside of Steam, though I find it funny how Steam is not even regarded as a Digital Rights Management tool that it is, but I personally like Origin. I do wish that EA would do more with it because if their interest has waned due to Steam's dominance over the PC gaming industry, they should just call it quits, work something out with Valve, and transfer those game keys to Steam.

No comments: