○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Unchained or Unplayable?

With Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures for the Personal Computer recently going free-to-play and now called Age of Conan: Unchained, I have decided to try it out again yesterday. I don't know why I even bother with these "ftp" massively multiplayer online role playing games anymore before I always end up being highly disappointed by them. I do remember how impressive this game looked when I played it briefly in 2008 so against my better judgment, I reinstalled the game. Upon reentering the game, I noticed that my previous character was no longer available to me. I was not sure what happened, perhaps I accidentally opened up a new account? I decided to just create a new character and jumped into the game. The game was still very beautiful to look at and now with DirectX 10 being fully implemented into the graphics engine, everything looked quite extraordinary. Then, before I was even able to leave the instanced introduction section of the game, I was already out of bag space. Oh my galaxy, I was so infuriated by this. Apparently, the bag space given to free players was shrunk to an annoying level. I did manage to get to the first central hub of the game where you could meet other players but I was so disheartened by the whole thing that I logged out and deleted the game off my hard drive immediately. That was it for me. No more "ftp" MMOs. These developers should allow free players to access everything that the game has to offer and only sell cosmetic stuff in the cash shop... like armor sets that make your characters look very pretty and epic. People will eat that stuff up and the developers would make a lot of money from them but why stop there right when you can apply micro-transactions on pretty much every aspect of the game from the bag space to skill customizations? I understand that these developers have to make money somehow but the things that they are selling are definitely not for me. To think that "ftp" will be the ongoing direction for the genre... It's scary and sad.

Unchained is nothing but a big tease...

No comments: