○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Saturday, July 24, 2010

LoL Banhammer For the Win!

In between matches, I was catching up on the League of Legends news from the game client this morning and I stumbled into this marvelous little post in regards to player bans:

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE LoL.

I myself have probably sent in around 8 to 10 reports of abusive players and it's great to see that Riot Games is taking things very seriously. Many of you may think that banning players on a free to play game may be a bit redundant because people can always open a new account. Well, you would be wrong to think that because you have to spend many hours (or a lot of money) to unlock champions and runes within the game so getting your account banned hurts... a lot! LoL encourages respectful behaviors between its players with its publication of "The Summoner's Code", which lists the following:

1) Support Your Team
2) Drive Constructive Feedback
3) Facilitate Civil Discussion
4) Enjoy Yourself, but Not at Anyone Else's Expense
5) Build Relationships
5) Show Humility in Victory, and Grace in Defeat
7) Be Resolute, Not Indignant
8) Leave No Newbie Behind!
9) Lead by Example

Detailed explanation on each of these important points can be found here. The great thing about The Summoner's Code is that you can apply this to any multiplayer game you play to avoid from becoming a total jerk. The Code resonates with me because I always value camaraderie and respect above all else when playing games with others online. I must say that last night, I did notice the absence of bad behaviors amongst the people that I played with. Usually, there's always one or two arrogant fools to be found per extended session of play. Well, I hope that Heroes of Newerth's recent "Report a Player" function will eventually yield the same result. I haven't been on that game for a while so who knows if the impact can finally be felt now within that game's community. Judging from the HoN streams on Justin.tv, it's probably going to take a little while longer to see that change.

No comments: