○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Monday, October 22, 2012

A 2012 Dreamcast Game?

I may have missed out on Last Hope: Pink Bullets and Fast Striker by the German independent developer NG:DEV.TEAM that were released several years ago on the Sega Dreamcast but I knew that I would not be able to forgive myself if I allowed their latest, GunLord, to become unattainable. I ordered the game last week and it has finally arrived on my doorstep this morning. GunLord was released for the Dreamcast in June of this year but as you know, import games are not that cheap and with my recent revelation about game pricing, I was having a difficult time justifying the purchase. I found this Limited Edition with a $60 price tag, which isn't that bad I suppose and since those 2 older games I mentioned earlier are all gone the way of the Dodo, it was harder to justify not to get it. GunLord is basically a Turrican clone with a little bit of Metroid and even Thunder Force IV added into the mix. It's a 2D side-scrolling shoot-'em-up with plenty of exploration and platforming. I like what I have played so far and I appreciate that the game comes with a worldwide leaderboard - you do have to write down the code at the end of the game and plug it into the website. The packaging itself is very beautiful and the game as well as the soundtrack discs are very colorful. I like how they have Japanese text all over the packaging to appease their main target audience. I want more Dreamcast games from this talented developer in the future, especially since that other seemingly awesome shooter Sturmwind seems to be stuck in delay hell possibly for eternity.
 
Anime-inspired cover art.
 
You know he's bad @$$ because he emerges from some fiery explosion.
 
Playing it on the big screen with the VGA adapter.

No comments: