○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Games Played 05/07/2009



RANDOM GAME OF THE DAY:


Puyo Puyo 4 (1999)
Developer: Sega
Platform: Sega Dreamcast
Purchase Date: 12/05/1999


Nothing says total pwnage like the happy face of a green-haired elf.

I have featured another Puyo Puyo game from my collection before, so it's safe to say that I really do enjoy this series - I even like playing Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine that keeps finding its way into those Sega classics compilation discs. Just like the other Puyo Puyo games, you are tasked to match colored blobs as they fall down into the puzzle area in increments of two. Every time you connect the puyos in a set of four or more, they disappear and colorless puyo blocks are then sent into your opponent's area. The key here is that you really have to truly master the art of chaining the destructions of the puyos. This is done by stacking up your puyo blobs so that one set of matched puyo would trigger a continuous matching of puyos as they fall down to fill up the newly emptied space. This is actually harder than it sounds and it will take a lot of practice before it becomes second nature to you. It is best to practice with a human player because the A.I. is quite brutal. The 2D graphics are charming and the game has a circus/carnival theme to it with cute but strange characters. The music is very pleasant and there are a lot of funny character voices. When a set of puyo blobs disappears, the sound of its destruction changes depending on the character who matched them. For the elf-archer shown in the screenshot above, it sounds like a cross-over between a balloon pop and a slap. I remember turning the volume up while playing this at one time and the slapping sound, coupled with continuous Japanese yelps, made my roommate rushed into my room because he thought that I was watching something terribly nasty.

LIBRARY STATUS: 4 out of 5

No comments: