○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Truly Last Remnant

One of the most graphically ambitious games on the X-Box 360 is none other than The Last Remnant. It was actually way too ambitious because it ended up looking good in stills while being an excruciating eye sore in motion. I learned about that flaw a little too late because I did induct the game into my Game Library when it first came out in 2008. I really love the game's epic tactical battles where you control multiple army squads and it is always a good thing when Square Enix focuses the story on large scale political intrigues versus a personal journey to save the world. It's a shame though because the game is certainly one of the developer's true masterpieces but the 360 obviously couldn't handle the game with all the horrible texture pop-ins, monstrous slowdowns, and father time cursed load screens. I tried to love the game the best that I could but after enduring it for about 3-4 hours, I was through. Then, the Personal Computer version of the game came out a year after and I had been tempted to acquire that version but the priority of doing so was often overshadowed by my need for newer titles. Well, Steam had The Last Remnant on sale before and they did again yesterday - the offer is still available until 10pm PST today - and after downloading the game's demo, which ran perfectly with smooth frame rate, higher resolution, and faster load times on my PC build, it was time to finally get it. The texture pop in is still there however, this is based on the Unreal Engine after all, but it is very slight. I know that I will now be able to enjoy The Last Remnant the way it was meant to be experienced.

Uh, nice pants?

1 comment:

Kelli said...

I still haven't beat this game yet. The lag in this game pissed me off but installing it to the system took care of that problem.