○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Real Horror of Dark Souls

I was playing some Dark Souls on the PlayStation 3 several days ago and I have discovered a moment of pure terror... No, this isn't a spoiler, you know I hate those and nor is it about the game being supposedly difficult: I have discovered the true evil of the game's improved world design where all the areas in the game are interconnected to form one gigantic open world environment compared the the first game's hub based gameplay. So there I was playing the game and after doing some back and forth exploration between two major areas for what I thought was maybe an hour or two, when I looked at the clock, I saw that I actually had been playing the game for 5 hours.

Yes, you can always get to that aqueduct for another short-cut run but...

I realize now that this game exists in a different space-time continuum. It tricks you into thinking that the world is smaller than it actually is with the clever introduction of shortcuts that you can discover between the different areas because even when travelling through those shortcuts, it will take some time for you to get to the places you want to be in this game. The fact that you get quickly accustomed to the layouts of the different areas through the process of pure repetition means that your brain will always perceive that you are going through them faster than real time. The game may not be all that hard but boy it does require you to really spend a lot of your free time on it. Quite evil.

No comments: