○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Games Played 05/18/2009

Crackdown - X-Box 360
Loki: Heroes of Mythology - PC
The Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II - PC
Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic - PlayStation 3
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - PC


RANDOM GAME OF THE DAY:


Ultimate Muscle - The Kinnikuman Legacy:
Legends vs. New Generation (2003)
Developer: Aki Corporation
Platform: Nintendo GameCube
Purchase Date: 06/11/2003


I just love how the announcers' portraits pop out during the special moves.

I am glad that during my childhood, I opted to watch the Kinnikuman anime series more than WWF. The humorous Ultraman-cum-wrestling parody was more exciting to me than Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage combined. I didn't know that there was a recent sequel to the original series and when I first saw the cover art as well as play the game's story mode, I was surprised to see all the "New Generation" characters whom I was not familiar with. I certainly enjoy the "Legends" characters better because they bring back a lot of fun memories of my youth. The graphics are colorful and they stay true to the source material. The outrageous super moves are fun to watch - they sure beat anything you see in other wrestling games. Those who are familiar with wrestling games made by Aki will discover that similar play mechanics are utilized in this game. Though not grounded by reality, the game still feels like a proper wrestling game with slow-paced action and grapple-heavy gameplay. The game has a "create-a-wrestler" feature where you can create truly bizarre looking superhero-mutant-machine-whatever-wrestler. The best wrestling game ever!

LIBRARY STATUS: 5 out of 5

4 comments:

Blake said...

Where you get all these crazy games? I've never even heard of half of them.

Are the overseas games? do you order away for them?

Just curios. I'm not a fan of anime animation, Anime art, or Anime games.

I don't recall seeing any of these titles in my local stores.

Loner Gamer said...

I do import some of my games though I haven't done so in a while now. It's a good sign: More great Japanese games are finding their way to the North American market easier than before. If the X-Box 360 is not region-locked, I would have purchased some of the great import-only shoot-'em-ups that have recently been released in Japan.

Legends vs. New Generation was a domestic release - apparently the anime series was localized and aired on the "Fox-Box" channel.

Blake said...

Never heard of Fox Box, is that a tv station?

Loner Gamer said...

It's a Saturday morning program slot for kids. Not sure if it's still called that now because I hardly watch TV these days.

I have never seen the newer show that this game is based on but I bet a lot content had to be sterilized for the localization if it's anything close to the original series.