○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur PS3: Why?

I have been playing about 8 hours of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning for the PlayStation 3 that I have rented from GameFly and I am not enjoying it that much. No, this has nothing to do with the gameplay - I love the action-oriented, quest-heavy role playing action that is presented by this game. The problem has something to do with the game's graphics. When the demo of the game came out, I downloaded the Personal Computer version via Steam so I have been spoiled by how immaculate this game looks on the PC. On the PS3, the game runs at 720p and the fluidity of the 60 frames per second found on the PC version is missing. Just to make sure that I was not merely hallucinating, I downloaded the game demo on Steam again and after looking at the image quality of the game running at 1080p on the PC, I can't bring myself to play the PS3 version again. I don't know why I did this to myself but then again, perhaps it's a good thing that I did. I want to experience the best version of this game. I am going to return this game back tomorrow and find a PS3 exclusive game to rent instead. I will still keep Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception that came in with KoA even though I have issues with that game as well. The story mode feels like an interactive movie instead of a video game. People just need to get over their man-crush for Nathan Drake - and that kid Nathan section is just a little too creepy - and see the game as it is: a vanity project with mediocre gameplay.

You are going back home tomorrow buddy.

2 comments:

Chalgyr said...

I've heard that the PC version looks amazingly better - if you have a beefy enough machine for it. I have read quite a few people who barely meet the specs who complain about framerate issues though too. I've got it on the 360 and haven't tried it on any other system. I am thoroughly enjoying the game, love the art direction, but texture pop-in issues abound.

Loner Gamer said...

Yes, amazingly better is probably a good way to describe it. Check out the PC demo or better yet, maybe you shouldn't to avoid the disappointment I experienced here.