○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Thursday, March 23, 2023

The Games of Steam Spring Sale 2023: Part 1

Trying something new here: I want to start writing about the games that I inducted into my Game Library during a significant sales event, for example, the recent Steam Spring Sale that occurred from 03/16 to 03/23. This is a great exercise for me to reinforce my connection to these games and to appreciate them beyond typical gameplay time, since the latter is a fiercely competitive field for these games. The process of selecting these games during a sales event is a complex one. I don't just go down my wishlist and easily select a number of games to fit into a certain budget. Unless there are games that I really, really want - I would usually just get these games outside of a sales event - it would normally take me at least two days to stew the selections in my cart before they are ready for purchase. The process can be fun and a bit stressful as well. As you will see, there is a story to every one of my game inductions, whether tragic, mundane, or filled with magic. All of them hold a special place in my heart.

Don't let it go away... This feeling has got to stay?

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire ► My first exposure to the Elder Scrolls series was The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, and I have always been curious about the games that preceded it. The screenshots made the game look like a PSOne version of an Elder Scroll game. Old 3D games are easier on the eyes versus an old 2D game with no proper scanline filter.

Cat Museum ► After experiencing the demented Life Gallery from the developer same developer 751 Games, there is no way that I am going to pass on a good opportunity to nab this game. Cat Museum looks like a tamer version of Life Gallery, but it still oozes a kind of nonsensical weirdness that I find quite intriguing. I used to be a cat person but I'm sorry kitties, thank to Yoshi, I am all about the doggies these days!

X-Force Genesis ► Look, I am obsessed with shmups and when I see a 90% discount on a shmup on my wishlist, the rest is just history. The game looks like one of those shmups where you have to upgrade to progress, which is not preferable but is not necessarily a bad thing. It looks great, with promising bosses and power-ups. I am very lenient with my shmup inductees. All a shmup developer needs to do is show that they actually put some work in and I would be there playing the game. Update Note 03/25/2023 - Got a refund from Steam. The stage 4 boss was unkillable and caused my own ship to self-destruct after a period of time. Developer was unresponsive.

Demon Slayer -Kimetsu no Yaiba- The Hinokami Chronicles ► I like these fighting games from CyberConnect2 even though they are all basically the same game. One thing is for sure, they all look absolutely incredible. I have heard of this manga/anime but just like Naruto, my exposure to them is limited to the gaming world. I am here mostly for the story mode and get to know another cast of stereotypical Japanese characters.

Captain Sabertooth and the Magic Diamond ► Just like my adoration for shmups, I also love my platformers and a modern one only appears once in a blue alien visitor. This game harkens back to the golden age of platformer and in a world where a Sonic fan like myself knows that he will never get a new proper Sonic game ever again thanks to Sonic Team's delusions, it's easy to fall in love with Captain SabertoothThis one has been on my radar for a long time but that price, oh that crazy price. At a 75% discount? I'd be crazy not to pick it up.

Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- The Prophecy of the Throne Ever since I started collecting Hatsune Miku figurines, whenever I search for one on Amazon, there is always one other figurine that would pop up for a female character named Rem. I guess since she has the same hair color as Miku, the Amazon search function thought that I would be interested in any old blue-haired bi@tch. I didn't know who she was, until I saw this game on Steam. It looks like a mix of visual novel + strategy and I am certainly down for that. I am dying to know what makes this Rem character so special that it inspired the creation of an entire legion of Rem figurines.

Blast Brigade vs. the Evil Legion of Dr. Cread ► A beautiful 2D shmup + metroidvania, which is always an irresistible combination for me - how can I say no to this? The bosses look cool and I always admire developers who forgo the misguided pixelated 2D look (these people really thought that we played 2D games all nasty and pixelated like that on our CRT displays?) and bless us with high resolution 2D graphics.

Disney Planes ► This is based on one of those rare Disney movies that I have never watched. Still, I have a soft spot for movie games. I know, there are some pretty bad ones out there, but for the most part, I find them pretty clever and endearing. The game has plenty of game modes on top of the story campaign, so I have high hopes that it's going to be a blast to play.

Galaxy Trucker: Extended Edition ► I first learned about this game on the Czech Games Edition website when I picked up the Lost Ruins of Arnak board game two years ago - and it was during this time that I also discovered their excellent Diablo-esque board game Sanctum, which I later picked up. I was so happy that this one got converted into the digital realm. As I have mentioned previously, all board games can easily be converted into video games, and I really wish that these guys would do the same for everything else they have to offer in the physical world. Galaxy Trucker reminds me of the Space Runs game, only in board game format. I am confident that it will be just as entertaining.

WitchSpring3 Re:Fine - The Story of Eirudy - ► Here's a funny thing about this game. I had the Nintendo Switch version of the game saved to my Amazon wishlist for several years now. I am lucky that it never got any discounts because I would have gotten the physical version. I just recently discovered this Steam version and then soon after, the Spring Sale happened! What luck! It's an role playing game about a cute lonely witch? Can't relate to that at all but it sounds fine, so fine that it should be called Re:Fine. Oh, it is called exactly that!

No comments: