○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Tuesday, March 28, 2023

The Games of Steam Spring Sale 2023: Part 2

Click here for Part 1

FAR: Changing Tides ► Sometimes, I do fall into the trap of cascading sequels, that is, I haven't even played the earlier games in the series before inducting the new entries into my Game Library. This is one such case. I would normally ignore sequels in my huge wishlist if I still needed to play the games that preceded them, unless they got a nice price cut. Sometimes, I feel like I am navigating through the complexities of life only by myself, so I am intrigued by the idea of travelling across a desolate environment alone as represented in this title. The good thing about having a series of games ready to go however, just like binging a show on a video streaming service, is having that option to play them in succession if I want to. Such convenience is one of the reasons why I love building up - or further enhancing - my Game Library.

Budget Cuts 2: Mission Insolvency ► Well, look at that. This game shares the same situation as FAR: Changing Tides. I find that the best virtual reality games are those where you are mostly standing still shooting at things, but I have been adventurous enough to check out those involving dynamic traversals, such as this game. I am one of those unlucky people who do get motion sickness from VR. It's something that can be conquered, slowly but surely, but I just don't play VR often enough. It's hard to pass on a great VR deal however: Having more VR games should encourage me to play them more often.

Wind & Leaves A VR game where you get to revive a dying world sounds promising. I don't know much about this game, but I like the trailer they have on the store page. It's quite different than the usual VR affair, which frequently revolves around the action genre. The deep discount really helped to make this an attractive selection since I've been wanting to check out the game for a while now, but it felt way overpriced during past discount offers. The price was just right this time around.

Redout 2 ► At this point, it is almost a certainty that we will never get a new Wipeout game. We all know that Nintendo really, really doesn't like money because they still refuse to sell games on Steam but to think that Sony just refuses to crank out more Wipeout games is truly quite a mystery. Thankfully, we have the Redout series. Let's be honest here, these games will never touch the greatness of a Wipeout entry, especially with its wishy-washy cell-shaded aesthetics but when there are no other real options out there, sometimes you just have to settle with the second best.

Gravitar: RechargedMissile Command: RechargedYars: Recharged ► Can't say no to these "recharged" Atari classics. Growing up, I was jealous of my friends who owned an Atari 2600... That was, until I got myself a Nintendo Entertainment System. Old Atari games are quite rudimentary, and most don't age very well, as I've discovered years later through all the different collections and anthologies released for a variety of platforms. Releasing these "recharged" versions is a great idea. Sometimes, all we need are some improved visuals and a little gameplay tweak to really liven up an old game. I will always be there for a proper classic re-release.

Flinthook ► Okay, I never wanted this game. It looks so gimmicky with the whole hook-thing. I originally flagged it as a game to ignore. But when Tribute Games recently released a patch that added a beautiful, beautiful CRT filter to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenger, I wanted to reward them for saving that game from being a visually misguided, pixelated mess - which was a horrible distraction from its delicious classic beat-'em-up gameplay - into a thing of true beauty. Yes, the CRT filter in that game is THAT good. Judging from the screenshot, unfortunately, this game is a pixelated mess so... maybe add that CRT filter to your older games too, okay?

Monster Bash HD ► They can release any old action/platform game on Steam and I would eventually get them. I already have the classic version of this game, but I like the visual changes that they did with this "HD" version. Well, the game looks better now but it's hardly HD graphics. I sure hope it has some kind of graphics filter because I am not big on that pixelated look. They do know that calling something HD means that things shouldn't look pixelated on the screen?

Bendy and the Dark Revival ► I have a hard time with horror games these days, yet I can't resist them when I think that they are perhaps not that scary. This game is giving me some BioShock vibes, and I can handle that even though I thought that BioShock was extremely spooky. This game supposedly takes place in a cartoon world, I mean, that can't be horrific... Right?

Card Shark ► A game about cheating at playing cards in 18th century France. What? It's fresh. It's different. It's definitely unique. I have not seen a single gameplay of this, as I pride myself in avoiding any footage of games that I am interested in for the sake of avoiding nasty spoilers, so I have no idea even what the gameplay is like. Kudos to the developers for not showing too much in the game trailers! Sometimes, I go into a game completely blind. It's a matter of trusting my guts. I hope it didn't steer me wrong this time.

Nordic Ashes: Survivors of Ragnarok ► I love these survivor games and they are also incredibly cheap. The art style looks nice, and the screenshots look very chaotic, which is a good thing for this genre. The game has been getting plenty of updates. It was version 0.8.4.1 when I first got the game and when I checked today, it's already version 0.9.1.1 - the store page says that the planned release is the end of 2023 but it seems like the game is getting close to being finalized. I have played it for a bit and it's alright, I guess. Not as exciting as I thought it would be but I'm still learning the ropes. I have never regretted getting any of these survivor games... yet!

No comments: