○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Friday, March 24, 2023

Roguelike? No, I LOVE Rogue

I received the Rogue Hero Pack for Marvel Champions yesterday. I have pre-ordered this for a while, and it sure took its time to finally get to me. Out of all the heroes released for this game, Rogue is the one I am most excited about. Why is that? Well, Rogue is my favorite X-Men. If you think this is funny, then you must have not known the real Rogue and that your exposure to her is only limited to her horrible portrayal in the X-Men live action films. I hate those movies, they are pure trash. You see, Rogue is not the weakling girl who ended up giving up her mutant powers from the stupid films. No, she is one tough, sassy southern belle, and is one powerful mutant. I am no woman, and I am definitely not from the south but still, let me share with you the story behind my obsession with Rogue and why she is significant in my life.

Rogue redefines what it means... to go rogue.

I first learned about Rogue from the television show X-Men: The Animated Series in the early 90s. I remember seeing her flying about in the intro sequence and thinking to myself, what the actual fuck? I already knew about Storm, Cyclops, Jean Grey, and of course, Wolverine, but there was something about this flying bi@tch who, in this very intro, was capable of swinging a sentinel over her head and onto the ground like it was made of cheap Chinese plastic. Eventually, I learned about her mutant powers - she can absorb abilities and memories by the simple act of touching others with her bare skin - and her struggle when it comes to being physical with anyone because well, she knows she can't have uh, skin to skin contact? Just kissing a guy made him fall into a coma and Rogue was able to inherit Ms. Marvel's flight, invulnerability, and super-strength permanently from a prolonged touch. Her mutant ability is incredible but the price she has to pay for it is even more monumental.

I prefer my Rogue with the bunched up grey hair (left) instead of the streaks (right).

While watching this show, I was in my teens, growing up in a religious family. I discovered my homosexuality from a very early age, and being gay is of course, a sinful thing. It's something that I couldn't talk to anyone about and though the gay community is still struggling to this day within the confines of the majority heterosexual society, things were worse then. I, of course, was able to relate to Rogue's predicament and yet, I was able to also borrow from her strength. There were moments of true sorrow in the show as Rogue reflected on her situation. I had been in that dark place, being so attracted to the member of my own sex, longing to touch or be touched by another man yet being constantly reminded that if I were to pursue this desire so natural to me, I would commit a sin. It's even more horrible than that because I felt like I was an abomination, an outcast, sin itself... a mutant? But you see, it was how Rogue was able keep going, how she continued to become an important part of the X-Men that inspired me. While Cyclops and Wolverine were jousting their penises in that whole Jean Grey love triangle, Rogue was just trying to keep things physically platonic with Gambit. She was cursed to a life without consummated love, yet there she was kicking arses and doing her thing. Back then, I felt like I would never be able to be with a man, and Rogue was telling me that I would be able to survive that if that was the case. I am glad to eventually get out of that closeted mentality that was, mind you, forced upon me by religion, but I owed some of my mental fortitude to the characterization of Rogue from the show. Thank you Rogue, for being there for me during such a difficult time in my life.

No comments: