○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Turn Off Trophy Notifications?

And I thought the DOMA and Prop 8 Supreme Court decisions today were historic but apparently, there was something big also happening in gaming. There was a patch yesterday for the PlayStation 3 that I just downloaded when I booted up the system tonight and it is quite groundbreaking - with software version 4.46, you can now... Turn off the display notifications when you unlock a trophy!

Am I dreaming? Thank you Sony, thank you!

To many people, unlocking trophies has become an activity that can be equated to drug abuse. The level of addiction for these individuals just reached quite a disturbing level. Is Sony trying to help people combat this delirium? But certainly no one would ever choose the option to not display trophy notifications except for me? I hate it because I don't hunt trophies and when they suddenly show up, it would startle me and that can be bad for the heart! Without seeing that pop-up when completing a silly task though, I am sure that people would rather play on the X-Box 360 and Steam to see the achievements rather than turn this off. Such a weird update. Perhaps this is a test to see how people would react when they don't see the trophy notifications because on the PlayStation 4, there is the possibility that only PlayStation Plus members will see them pop-up? Whatever the reason may be, in a world where gamers would not play anything without being rewarded with a "task unlocker" popping up on their screens, Sony had just done something that is nothing short of... revolutionary!

2 comments:

Nim said...

The amount of people I've spoken to about gaming, and the percentage that literally play mainly for achievements baffles me. Give it time and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a trophy for completing a game with the notifications off!

The catch is you want more trophies, you buy more games, which leaves both gamer and company happy as Larry but us near morals just want to plays games although I would like some fireworks for a platinum - yes I have shamefully gone out of my way to get a few and all I got was a lousy ding.

Loner Gamer said...

Yes, ever since the achievement system was introduced on the X-Box 360, the gaming world changed. I used to know people who would buy a game that they normally wouldn't get just to be able to score what they would describe as "easy 1000 achievement points". If developers want me to do silly tasks, reward me with unlocking features in the game instead of that lousy ding you mentioned.

Perhaps for a platinum unlock, the power light on the console should flash violently and the whole screen freezes and then shatters like an encounter transition of a Japanese role playing game before a crazy fireworks display? Then you know people would buy or rent (or steal) every single PlayStation 3 or 4 games out there, no?