○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Netflix and Windows 8 PC

As I have mentioned before, I don't watch broadcast television. If not for the spouse, I would probably not have a cable subscription. These days, if I want to watch something entertaining, I would just go to twitch.tv to view people streaming live gameplay. It's a lot more fun than watching any of those reality television shows. Now the spouse and I do subscribe to the Netflix streaming service every now and then. We would normally subscribe for just a month and get as much viewing as possible and wait until the movies that we wanted to watch get added in before getting another month's subscription. I loved watching my Netflix streams on the Personal Computer from the website. Every now and then, I did have to watch them on my PlayStation 3 when the high definition versions were only available on other compatible devices. Well, that will no longer be the case thanks to the Netflix app on my Windows 8 PC.

Killer Klowns from Outer Space is a special movie for me and the spouse.

It's basically the same Netflix app you see on the consoles and on the tablets - I am obligated to mention here, just in case you didn't know, that to play Netflix on the X-Box 360, you have to pay for LIVE Gold where you can access your Netflix subscription anywhere else... for free! In addition to having access to HD stream that are normally not available from the Netflix website, the other benefit of using this app on your Windows 8 PC is the sound. Playing the movies, HD or otherwise, on the website will only give us stereo sound but with this app, we get Dolby Digital 5.1! Before you start blabbering about having to stare at a small PC monitor when watching Netflix on the PC, please be reminded that you are living in the 21st century and PCs can be hooked up to your super big crazy high definition display and you also get discrete surround sound from the appropriate setup. This Netflix app is definitely yet another positive result of my recent Windows 8 installation. I'm glad that I decided to check it out when I renew my Netflix subscription today. Windows 8 is great but the Windows 8 Store is so underutilized when it comes to pure PC gaming. If Microsoft could just work on improving that, they could easily rival Steam. I am still hopeful that Microsoft will go towards that direction instead of releasing another console.

No comments: