○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

New Games Alert!

I am just 1 game away to the 2,000 mark with the 3 new games I picked up today: Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time, Tekken 6, and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (finally) for the PlayStation 3. Ratchet and Uncharted 2 showcase the new cover art banner for the PS3 and it looks incredibly ugly. The Blu-ray disc case is short enough compared to the DVD case and adding the huge grey border on top of the cover art makes everything look too boxy and cramped. Minus -250 points to Naughty Dog for printing the "5 out of 5 stars" quote on the bottom part of the cover art. That stuff belongs on the back of the case. Overall, satisfying buy today and I look forward to game number 2,000. I have a good feeling it may be between Dragon Age: Origins (PC), Borderlands (PC), Forza Motorsports 3 (X-Box 360), or Magna Carta 2 (X-Box 360).


Sony should be ashamed for mimicking the 360's console banner design.
The sleek side banner like the one on Tekken 6 above is infinitely better.

3 comments:

Blake said...

I had no idea that the Sony was changing the look of their PS3 cases.

Why would they do that?! It looked fine. When I first glanced at it, I thought it was a PSP title until I saw the PS3 printed there instead.

So I take it all cases will now have the new fancy print on them. Did Xbox 360 change the look of their cases at any point?

Loner Gamer said...

No, the 360 hasn't changed the look on their game cases. Judging by the placement of that ugly banner up top and the "PlayStation Network" logo to the right of the banner, it is obvious that Sony is just trying to blur the line between the two consoles by matching the look of the 360 game cases.

Granted, the PlayStation 2 cases have that black banner with the PS2 logo up top but this new look just doesn't bode well with the short Blu-ray case and having the previous vertical logo to the left actually elongated the cover art and made things look more sophisticated. I surely hope Sony will change their mind about this soon - because the new look is very distracting - but I'm afraid that the new age of awful looking PS3 cases is truly upon us.

Blake said...

That does suck indeed.

IT seems Sony loves to do something right and then turn around and do something equally awful to balance everything out.