○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Friday, July 6, 2012

Back to Being a SingStar!

Now that my PlayStation 3 is back in action after a brief period of sleep, I decided to celebrate its recent 1TB upgrade with booting up the best karaoke software on the planet: SingStar. I went to the store page to check out the new songs that are available to be downloaded and oh my galaxy, what is this? They have Lana Del Rey's Born to Die?!

No, this doesn't make me sad but it will certainly make me cry.

Now you can call Lizzy Grant whatever you want to call her because of that questionable performance on Saturday Night Live but the select songs that I have heard from both the new album and the old ones are just plain beautiful. As a matter of fact, Born to Die is one of my favorite songs ever. It even has a really epic music video as well. Now when it comes to singing, I don't discriminate between songs from male and female artists, to the surprise of my friends on karaoke nights, and I have probably sung this song to death while I am sitting here doing non-gaming stuff in the Game Room. So of course I am going to download this and it would be a pleasure to sing this one on SingStar over and over again - sorry hun! I have to mention however that they actually censored the word "high" in the line "Let's go get high" and I thought that was hilarious.

Also worth mentioning is that they have now included support for the wireless Bluetooth headset to be used with the game. So I tested the official PS3 headset that I own since 2008 on Radiohead's "No Surprises" and it worked flawlessly. It seems that the vocal reduction of the original artist's voice is working better too because I can barely hear it anymore. Not having to hook up all of those mics and wires will make it much much easier to play this game a lot more often! Now I am not sure if I just never noticed this before from the 4.40 patch but when you use vibrato, you can now see quivering wave on the highlighted note, which actually looks pretty darn cool. Great job, Sony! Please continue giving us quality songs to download!

Pitch perfect with the Bluetooth headset.


Update Note: 07/08/2012 - I discovered that even the music video for the Born to Die download was also censored! I don't think people would have been offended by the removed sequences but I suppose they want to make the software family friendly even though it was rated Teen and you know that our teens listen and watch worse things than a Lana Del Rey music video. Also I want to note that the voice recording with the Bluetooth headset is not as pristine as the wired microphone so one has to choose between quality over convenience. If you don't plan on uploading any of your singing to your online page, then there is no downside to using the Bluetooth headset.

No comments: