○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Those Retail Games Are Disappearing

I went to Fry's Electronics today since the spouse offered me game gifts again but once we got there, the selection was quite abysmal. Many recently released titles were nowhere to be found and that includes top titles. The sales representative couldn't explain the shortage - to be honest, I don't think that he cared - but with the recent situation involving Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch for the PlayStation 3, there is certainly something strange happening here. Despite the store's effort in price-matching prices with Internet stores, perhaps they are losing that battle. I normally get my games online and these days with most of them received via the means of digital distributions. I am curious now to know where most people get their retail console games. The few acquaintances I have mostly get theirs from Amazon.com so perhaps this is becoming the norm? Still, GameStop (ewww) is still out there and I bet they always carry the necessary amount of games for their target customers. I did go to a Best Buy several days ago and I do remember clearly that even that store's video game section looked rather sparse. Oh, how I long for the day when these stores sell no physical games... At least that has finally became a reality for Personal Computer games! That's right. It looks like this particular Fry's Electronics no longer have a dedicated PC game section - there used to be 3-4 shelves filled with physical PC games. The only PC games in the entire store that they are selling can be seen in the picture below and I don't think they'll be selling these out any time soon. They might as well give those out to their employees:

The last remaining PC games are crammed up into one small display shelf.

2 comments:

Chalgyr said...

Interesting - maybe it's a local thing? I know our Disc Trader here has a boatload of games lately, and we have 3 flipping gamestops in one town. We have a few other smaller game stores too that seem to be doing okay, if not great.

Loner Gamer said...

Perhaps the exclusive digital distribution revolution for all gaming platforms will be fully realized here before it ripples outwards. How exciting! You know how it is with California. We like to set the next big trends here.