○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Friday, February 18, 2011

Randomly Playing Drakensang

So I was able to get myself into a steady groove with Guild Wars before I got hooked on Sacred 2: Fallen Angels and now, I have yet again turned my attention to another game: The Dark Eye: Drakensang. Whenever I do this though, note that I normally transition between games of the same genre... Not that it would matter much if it means that I am going to flat out abandon the other games that I was previously enjoying. If there is one bad habit that I do have it is my inability to stop myself from accessing other games in my Game Library before I get to thoroughly explore the current game in front of me. Then again, limiting myself to what I want to play at a given moment is counter-productive to having access to all of these games. I am sure that there is a way to remedy this situation but I know that at the end of the day, it's all a matter of self control and I am a little bit weak when it comes to video games.

Mr. Woodgiver loves using his two-handed longsword.

Apparently, I inducted this game in July of 2009 and I have hardly ever played it since then. It is a role playing adventure game from German developer Radon Labs. At the offset of the game, you get to select your gender, class, and race and there are quite a variety to choose from. I went for a rugged looking warrior dude and named him Todd Woodgiver. The one thing that is very apparent from the start of this game is that your character has too many attributes and talents that you need to manage upon receiving experience points. It takes a while to get used to all the numbers and I am at a point where I am comfortable with the system.  You can have up to four characters in your party but I only have three of them at the time. There was one quest that provided me with a forth party member whom I do not have to directly control and that was pretty cool - I wish that the other party members are controlled by bots just like how they were in Dragon Age: Origins.

Mr. Woodgiver doesn't like whiny rogues.

Drakensang is a beautiful game with wide open spaces to explore but the character animations do get a little weird sometimes - like when you are collecting herbs, your character would be rummaging a couple of feet away from the actual plant. The game takes place in a typical medieval setting complete with dwarfs, elves, and dragons. Story-wise, my character is supposed to meet an old acquaintance who is in need of help because of some mysterious danger that he is facing. I have been so busy doing the side quests in the starting area so I haven't even met the guy yet. I am enjoying this game a lot and I always prefer slower, more methodical role playing games versus action-oriented ones like Sacred 2. I just have to make sure that I don't look for other games to mess around with because I want to keep playing Drakensang for a while. But I said that about Sacred 2 and Guild Wars too...

No comments: