○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Video Gaming Retirement

Is there really such a thing as a video gaming retirement? When I was young, my siblings always made fun of my rather obsessive video gaming and they said that it was just a phase and that it wouldn't last once I reach adulthood. Well, they are wrong about that for sure. Video gaming is a hobby by characterization and just like any other hobbies out there, it tend to last quite a long time. We still cannot deny the fact however that just like those other hobbies, it is possible for a person to say that it is really time to stop. No, this is not a proclamation by yours truly that he has lost interest in the video gaming world - it was just a thought that came into my head as I was slurping down a very delicious shrimp soup during lunchtime.

Judging from the many years of playing video games, the big library of games, and the passion put forth into words found on this website, video gaming is definitely still in my blood. But I wonder if the day would come when I finally look at what I have accumulated over all these years and say to myself, "Well, I have had enough." Is video gaming like love then, that it grows stronger with the passing of the years and that as I approach the twilight of my life, I would still hold them close to my heart to the very day that I perish from existence? That's going a bit too deep I know. Maybe not getting a new game within the period of a month does something to my thought process. Or it could just be the shrimps.

Thankfully, two new games are inducted into my Game Library today to finally end the long drought. The first is Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective for the Nintendo DS, a puzzle-oriented adventure game with a very interesting premise where you play as a ghost who must discover why you have died during the period of one night. The second game is the Dead Space 2 Limited Edition for the PlayStation 3. I originally wanted to get this for the Personal Computer - yes even though the PS3 version comes with the 720p-upscaled Dead Space: Extraction because I already own that game for the Nintendo Wii. I must say that at least Extraction does control a lot better with the PlayStation Move and the discreet surround separation sounds wicked but what was one of the Wii's best looking games looks quite yucky as a PS3 title. After the news about the lack of downloadable content support for the PC however, I know it's best to support the console release instead. More content is always better than the ability to play the game in native 1080p (the console versions are stuck at native 720p) and since the texture resolutions are not optimized on the PC anyway, I think I can live with this decision. I would have preferred to have this game for the X-Box 360 but just having a single Blu-ray disc to deal with versus 2 DVD discs on the 360 also tipped the scale in favor of the PS3 release. What I will try to finish the first Dead Space in the next couple of weeks even if it means that I will be soiling my pants and falling unconscious whenever the Necromorphs jump out of those darn vents so that I can properly start playing Dead Space 2.

Got to keep myself sane for another extended period of time.

No comments: