○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Thursday, January 19, 2023

Trimming the Fat: Genshin Slimpact

My Game Library is huge, and it will continue to get bigger as we go. So, is there a good reason to keep a free-to-play game like Genshin Impact in my roster of games to play? Let me just start off by saying that GI is a pretty good game. It's pretty, it's silly, and it's a time sink. It's also the only ftp game that I would consider to be an essential install. Well, Heroes of the Storm is the other one, but that game is so good that I don't even see it as a ftp title because it's worth its gigabyte in gold. You don't see me running to boot up GI when I'm struggling to choose a game to play now, do you?

This is for the best. I'll just watch a stream on twitch.tv if I want to see the game in action.

The main problem with GI is that it's a living game, not that it's a gatcha game. Even though I really would like to unlock some of those cool characters in the game, I have not spent a dime on it. You need to have self-control to play a game like this. It's bad enough that I took my time to replay the game after my initial time with it but my lack of consistency in getting back into it made me feel like I am way behind on experiencing all that the game has to offer. It's the game's fault really, with all of the promotional emails and event announcements even in-game, when all that I want to do is to slowly progress through the storyline. I am happy that I did get to play the game as much as I did. I truly wish that GI was an offline game with the new characters and locations presented as downloadable contents. The game would have worked that way, but it wouldn't have made developer miHoYo the ridiculous amount of cash they are raking in.

No comments: