○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Thursday, February 17, 2022

9,000! Plus an Encounter with an Immortal Soul

Well, I made it folks. I am 1,000 titles away from the big 10K. As of tonight, my game collection is sitting at 9,002! And... I feel very good about it. Especially the fact that most of these games can be accessed digitally. I am so tired of physical games. They are such a burden. Those of you lucky enough to become gamers after video games started being offered via digital distributions, I do envy you. Don't let the physical-only crowd bully you into accepting their delusions - going digital is the smart way to go and you have all of my support!

Having a lot of Steam games installed also means nonstop game updates.

With access to so very many games, my view on "ownership" has changed somewhat as well. Either that or I have just gotten wiser with age. We all have to eventually face our own mortality, with some people being quicker in achieving that understanding than most. I have embraced the idea of living on borrowed time since I was very young, which lead to these gaming acquisitions throughout my life. My motto has always been, we live only once so do what you need to do to make yourself happy. In my case, since I love video games and they make me very happy, I don't mind having a grand collection of them. I am starting to open up more about the concept of game subscription rentals, however. Programs like the PlayStation Plus, PC Game Pass, or even Stadia Pro can be rather attractive because what we think we own in this world, we will have to leave behind in the end. There's nothing you can do to get around that. Does it really matter that you own anything in this life? Probably not but at the end of the day, if you like the idea of being able to claim ownership of something while you are still alive, then just do it since it's your thing.

Humans are constantly searching for meanings in their lives. I have found mine, have you?

This whole discussion reminds me of the game Subnautica: Below Zero that I have been playing on my Personal Computer. I can't believe that I am hooked on this game right now despite being seriously aquaphobic. The following includes a major spoiler so you should stop reading if you want to discover this encounter on your own. The character I am playing, Robin, had encountered an alien lifeform that then merged into her consciousness while it was looking for a permanent body to be transferred into. While merged as a part of her, the being started making commentaries about the state of human existence - more specifically, how fragile it is. Robin started getting offended every time the alien being seemingly found humanity inferior compared to it. This reaction really irks me because well, I agree with the alien being. The ability to continuously exist as a consciousness by transferring from one form to the next for what may be an eternity is definitely a superior way to live. The funny thing is, Robin is supposed to be a Xenologist but she's taking things too personally instead of looking at the whole thing through the lens of a scientist. Well, Robin is not known for making smart decisions - cough, cough, meteor shower - and there are also plenty of illogical things about this game, but the bottom line is, yes, humans are not immortal. Thus, we should live like mortals, always aware of this limitation so that we can enjoy our short existence to the fullest! Stop living through others - live for yourself! Whether that means building up your video game collection or whatever it is you can dream of. Do I dream of hitting 10,000 games in my collection? That does sound nice but I think as far as game collection goes, I have accomplished a milestone that I never thought possible.

No comments: