○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

2014 Gaming Analysis

2014 was a rough year for me because I was unraveling. It started very early into the year and it persisted for a long time. It was hard to deal with the reality that I do not have a gaming companion and though I have a better handle of things these days, the pain still lingers sometimes.

But it's not all bad. The year was also a triumph as it further validates the relationship between myself and my husband. It was almost unbelievable to be there when my husband finally announced to his family about our relationship and marriage. Sure, he may not be a gamer nor will he ever be one but I just cannot see myself being with someone else.

This analysis includes all games that were inducted in 2014, even if the games were released prior to that year. The brackets shown in the number counts signify the difference between 2013 and 2014. I hope you will find this report informative and an entertaining read.


--- HANDHELDS ---

iPAD
Total Inductions: 5 (0)

NINTENDO 3DS
Total Inductions: 6 (-4)

PLAYSTATION VITA
Total Inductions: 7 (-1)

Favorite Game of the Year:
Tomodachi Life
Developer: Nintendo
Induction Date: 06/07/2014


The struggle of a lonely gamer. No game characters, public figures, ex lovers, and secret crushes are safe from being turned into my friends in this wacky Nintendo game. It's a weird life simulation that takes place on a small island but in reality, it is a game about nothing other than a reflection of oneself. Though it is a bloody shame that the game wouldn't allow me to hook up with my very own husband who joined the cast of crazies, Tomodachi Life is one of Nintendo's most creative - albeit strange - games ever made.


--- WII BRAND ---

NINTENDO WII
Total Inductions: 1 (-7)

WII U
Total Inductions: 9 (-5)

Favorite Game of the Year:
Hyrule Warriors
Induction Date: 11/04/2014


This game is all the proof Nintendo need that they need to really cash in on their intellectual properties in more ways than one, not to mention that they need to spread themselves across all gaming platforms already. A hack and slash Zelda action game? If you love the Dynasty Warriors games and all of its spin-offs, then you will go crazy over this one. Hyrule Warriors is the best DW game to date and those special moves, they are absolutely crazy looking!


--- PERSONAL COMPUTER ---
Total Inductions: 356 (-105)

Favorite Game of the Year:
Developer: Treasure
Induction Date: 02/18/2014


Do I need to explain this at all? It's one of my favorite games of all time and though it came out to the Personal Computer really late, the gameplay is still fresh and fun. It is a miracle of gaming that Treasure actually decided to release this on the PC, fully Steampowered too. For those who have never played this masterpiece, the initial experience may be perplexing and frustrating for this is not a game that can be understood quickly. It requires the player's full attention and commitment to peel off the game's enigmatic layers of gameplay. Then, comes pure joy and enlightenment. For those who have already played the game before, this PC release is something that must be celebrated for both its historical and nostalgic values.


--- PLAYSTATION BRAND ---

PLAYSTATION 3
Total Inductions: 27 (-1)

PLAYSTATION 4
Total Inductions: 7 (+4)

Favorite Game of the Year:
Skylanders Swap Force
Developer: Vicarious Visions
Induction Date: 04/15/2014


The latest entry, Skylanders Trap Team, was also inducted last year but it is obvious that between the two, Swap Force is the superior title. With its more modern user interface, better graphics, and unique body swapping mechanics, I wish this game was Trap Team's sequel instead of the other way around so that I can play the Skylanders from Trap Team in Swap Force. It is also worth noting that even though Swap Force is a costly commitment, at least it is not as greedy for your cash like Trap Master and all of those traps you have to buy for it. The Trap Team figurines are indeed nicer in overall construction but if Activision is smart, they will employ Vicarious Visions instead of Toys for Bob to create their future Skylander games.


--- X-BOX 360 ---
Total Inductions: 3 (-3)

Favorite Game of the Year:
Disney's Fantasia: Music Evolved
Developer: Harmonix
Induction Date: 12/01/2014


A game like this justifies the existence of motion-based gaming and it is the best Kinect game I have ever played. The game literally makes you feel like a conductor where you have to do arm motions to the rhythm and beat of its varied selection of songs. The whole presentation is really pleasant too with beautiful exploration segments where you unlock contents and plenty of pretty light shows that accompany the arm swinging action. This could very well be the last great title to be inducted into my X-Box 360 library.


--- INTERESTING TIDBITS ---

MOST PLAYED GAMES OF THE YEAR
Games that were played for 10 days or more within the year:


TOTAL NUMBER OF GAMES PLAYED: 324 (-49)*
8.7% of the entire Game Library as of 06/02/2015

TOTAL NUMBER OF GAMES INDUCTED: 421 (-122)*
11.3% of the entire Game Library as of 06/02/2015



*It is quite interesting to note that ever since I started gathering the total played and total inducted data together for the 2009 analysis, this is the first time that I got more games than I actually played within the year. I need to improve upon this situation. Normally, I would make sure that I at least test run my new games I got soon after their inductions but apparently I failed to do that last year.

No comments: