○ Video Games ○ Humanity ○ Individuality ○ True Freedom ○ Be Free ○
Every single time you visit this site, you directly support my efforts and spread my message - Thank you!

Explore My Game Room

Thursday, June 27, 2024

Of Backlogs and Dust Collectors

Today is the start of Valve's Steam Summer Sale, which as the years go by has become less and less exciting to me because, well, I pretty much have a lot of these games already - outside of the fresh brand-new games that normally don't get a significant price drop anytime soon. Thus, I don't participate in them as heavily as I have done so in the past. Still, I always manage to find myself a bunch of games to induct into my Game Library when the prices are right. It is during these large sales event that the word "backlog" gets tossed around everywhere within the Steam community. Sure, there used to be a time, or two, when I had a differing opinion about this whole backlog thing in the past, but I'd like to share with you my thought about this concept nowadays.

What does that mean, exactly?

When I add a new title into my Game Library these days, it doesn't mean that I have any expectation of dedicating my time completely on them, unless of course, they happen to be very, very engaging. Nowadays, I think of growing my collection as expanding my access to the games I am interested in. It's not about a race to "finish" a game - mind you that the whole concept of "finishing" a game is something that I always find to be a little funny, like how people think that getting "task unlockers" (achievements, trophies, etc.) in games is the way to officially "complete" a game. For me, it's about having access to these games. When I am in the mood to play a certain type of game, I explore my library to find a title that's readily available and waiting for me that would fit the criteria that I was looking for. It's as simple as that. Adding more titles to my library provide me more options to choose from on top of making me very happy. I maintain an excel database of all of my games: It's very easy for me to track the games I have in my large collection. I think as human beings, we often forget, especially when times are good, that we don't last. We'll die one day and at this point, I am not worried about dying before I have played every single one of my games in my library. I think it's sad to live a life where you stop yourself from pursuing your dreams, your wants, your happiness and those things for me are my video games. Sure, you may not find any value in growing your Game Library, but I do. I don't find value in buying too many clothes but that's just me. You won't find me saying that people have a backlog of clothes though because I understand it's about the ability to wear what you feel like wearing or if the occasions call for a specific look. We only live once. Always do the things that make you whole.

No comments: